Beware of consensus opinion and groupthink

cancel2 2022

Canceled
Here is an extremely good example of those in WW2.

Let me tell you a story. There is a management discipline called operations research that came out of WW2. One of its earliest uses was by the RAF to study Lancasters coming back from bombing missions over Germany. The consensus of opinion was that the areas most often hit by ack-ack and night fighters should be reinforced with armour. However one bright spark said that was wrong and they should put armour on the undamaged areas. Naturally the consensus said he was mad until he pointed out that it was obvious that the planes that didn't return were being hit in those areas and were destroyed as a result. I am recounting that true story as it highlights much of the skewed thinking on various issues. The moral of the story is to be very wary of people that tell you that there is a consensus for something or other.

Let me tell you a story. There is a management discipline called operations research that came out of WW2. One of its earliest uses was by the RAF to study Lancasters coming back from bombing missions over Germany. The consensus of opinion was that the areas most often hit by ack-ack and night fighters should be reinforced with armour. However one bright spark said that was wrong and they should put armour on the undamaged areas. Naturally the consensus said he was mad until he pointed out that it was obvious that the planes that didn't return were being hit in those areas and were destroyed as a result. I am recounting that true story as it highlights much of the skewed thinking on various issues. The moral of the story is to be very wary of people that tell you that there is a consensus for something or other.

:thinking:

Consensus by itself isn't necessarily a good thing. Just ask a sheep in a room full of wolves deciding whats for dinner.

Therefore, what? All consensus is wrong? What is your epistemology?

What did I get wrong? Try to present an argument for once.

Re-read the response you posted that I responded to. There is no purpose to making an argument with most of you people on this site as you are not interested in discussion. I have had reasonable conversations with leftists on this site but you certainly are not one of them.

Re-read the response you posted that I responded to. There is no purpose to making an argument with most of you people on this site as you are not interested in discussion. I have had reasonable conversations with leftists on this site but you certainly are not one of them.

100% of your posts are inane personal attacks. Bye.

Back