• Shimano

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sram

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
Well I have the money to build my bike with the new Raleigh International frame I bought. The frame is made of high end Reynolds 853 (comparable to Columbus Super Foco Steel). So, what drive train kit/groupo should I buy to build it? Any opinions?

I'm leaning towards Campy or SRAM. All my past Bikes have had Shimano.

He uses Campy. He talked about gears a lot, that's a bit out of my knowledge level. A lot actually! I was like a moron when we were talking. But he gave me a lot of info. You know more than me though obviously, so I don't know if he can help you.

I'm leaning towards Campy or SRAM. All my past Bikes have had Shimano.

As you are aware there are pro's and con's to all three. I have ridden Campy for the past decade plus. Not as light as SRAM, but for my size, it doesn't matter much. The biggest knock on Campy is that it is not as easy to replace parts when needed as many bike shops just don't carry them due to lack of need. The good news is that Campy friggin lasts a long time.

Shimano is a slight notch down in my opinion, but not that far off. It is the most common and thus easy replacement of parts. I am not a fan of their shifting. Though that is a personal preference thing.

SRAM I have not used personally, I have heard mostly good from those that use SRAM components... that said, not good enough to get me to consider switching.

He's also a regular whiz with small engines. Like that fella in Sling Blade.

lol... nope... when it comes to motorized vehicles I know little. Change the oil, the plugs and that is about it for the do it yourself 'fixes'. Way cheaper to take it to my trusted mechanic than to repair it myself and then have to take it to the mechanic to repair the original problem and all subsequent problems stemming from my repair.

Yeah I got a really nice one! We weren't talking when I finally bought it on account of that vicious cycle of PMS you had a few weeks ago, that even DH noticed? Otherwise I would have told you about it. :)

Nice. I assume you got a good deal by going the craigslist route?

Yes very, thank SF.

nice... I figured in NYC that might be the case.

for anyone else looking for a bike... a LOT of people buy a lot of gear so they can do triathlons. They use the bike for a few hundred miles (sometimes less) and then decide they don't like it. It is amazing how many bikes pop up on craigslist in almost new condition a year or two after original purchase. This is especially true in areas where you don't normally see a lot of bikers. (ie.. in the great lakes region where the concept of exercise is 'getting off the bar stool to go take a piss and then the long satisfied walk back'

As you are aware there are pro's and con's to all three. I have ridden Campy for the past decade plus. Not as light as SRAM, but for my size, it doesn't matter much. The biggest knock on Campy is that it is not as easy to replace parts when needed as many bike shops just don't carry them due to lack of need. The good news is that Campy friggin lasts a long time.

Shimano is a slight notch down in my opinion, but not that far off. It is the most common and thus easy replacement of parts. I am not a fan of their shifting. Though that is a personal preference thing.

SRAM I have not used personally, I have heard mostly good from those that use SRAM components... that said, not good enough to get me to consider switching.
Well there are two things I like about Sram. One is that it's a little lower in pricing than Shimano and significantly less than Campy but like Campy you can repair parts (unlike Shimano where you have to buy a new part). However, like you I've never ridden Sram. The guys I ride with tell me that Force is way better than Ultegra and is closer in quality to Campy Chorus and about $300 less than chorus. Having said that. There's a certain snob appeal to owning Campy. It says you realy care about cycling.

I guess what's making the decision difficult for me is at $1200 to $1300 for Campy Chorus I could spend a couple hundred more and get Sram Red. That's very tempting. Then again, I'll never race again so Red, Dura Ace and Record is probably a big waste of money for me. So I think I've narrowed it down to Sram Force or Campy Chorus (I think they are both superior to Ultegra). Since I expect this bike to last 10 years or more.....I'm leaning towards Campy.

Thanks for your input.

nice... I figured in NYC that might be the case.

for anyone else looking for a bike... a LOT of people buy a lot of gear so they can do triathlons. They use the bike for a few hundred miles (sometimes less) and then decide they don't like it. It is amazing how many bikes pop up on craigslist in almost new condition a year or two after original purchase. This is especially true in areas where you don't normally see a lot of bikers. (ie.. in the great lakes region where the concept of exercise is 'getting off the bar stool to go take a piss and then the long satisfied walk back'
That's good advice. I'll tell you another good place to buy a bike. Pawn shops in college towns. Juniors affluent parents buy hims a killer bike for commuting to classes and Junior promptly hawks it for beer money.

I tell most people who are interested in getting started to not buy a new bike. They can get more bang for the buck buying a used bike from E-Bay or Craigslist or Pawn Shops. Ebay you have to be patient. You'll find a nice bike and then some idiot with more money than sense will bid more than what it's worth. Then other times you can get them for a real bargain. I bought an old Paramount for $300. Stripped the old parts and rebuilt it with a used set of Ultegra 6600 and a new set of DT Swiss R450 wheels. That's my commuter bike now.

Back