BP gets the go ahead to dump mercury into lake Michigan

By Bobby Carmichael, USA TODAY
A BP (BP) refinery in Indiana will be allowed to continue to dump mercury into Lake Michigan under a permit issued by the Indiana Department of Environmental Management.
The permit exempts the BP plant at Whiting, Ind., 3 miles southeast of Chicago, from a 1995 federal regulation limiting mercury discharges into the Great Lakes to 1.3 ounces per year.

The BP plant reported releasing 3 pounds of mercury through surface water discharges each year from 2002 to 2005, according to the Toxics Release Inventory, a database on pollution emissions kept by the Environmental Protection Agency that is based on information reported by companies.

The permit was issued July 21 in connection with the plant's $3.8 billion expansion, but only late last week began to generate public controversy. It gives the company until at least 2012 to meet the federal standard.

The action was denounced by environmental groups and members of Congress.

Pretty significantly over the legal amount.

1.3 ounces and they're dumping 3 lbs per year.

I blame giving the Indiani DEM this kind of power in the first place.

The permit was issued July 21 in connection with the plant's $3.8 billion expansion, but only late last week began to generate public controversy. It gives the company until at least 2012 to meet the federal standard

I don't know the facts of this case.

Its not uncommon to allow an industry to exceed a health standard for a period of time before coming into compliance. Government agencies are required by law to take into account economic factors as well as health factors. It sometimes isn't economically or technically feasible to come into immediate compliance with a health and safety regulation.

It just all depends on whether giving them an additional 6 years is based on good science and technical evaluation...or whether political considerations entered the fray.

I couldn't see Chicago not fighting this, they are:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/north/chi-shoreline_31jul31,1,2810327.story

chicagotribune.com
8 towns stand up against BP plan

By Susan Kuczka

Tribune staff reporter

6:51 AM CDT, July 31, 2007

Mayors from eight North Shore communities joined U.S. Rep. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) on Monday in announcing plans to fight the proposed discharge of significantly more ammonia and industrial waste into Lake Michigan by the massive BP oil refinery in Whiting, Ind., after years of effort to clean up the Great Lakes.

"Any time you start putting more pollution into the lake, it's a concern," said North Chicago Mayor Leon Rockingham, who joined officials from Highland Park, Highwood, Kenilworth, Lake Bluff, Lake Forest, Waukegan and Wilmette in announcing formation of the Shoreline Mayors Task Force to address lake issues such as pollution.

BP recently won approval from Indiana regulators to exempt the company from state environmental laws as it prepares for a $3.8 billion expansion that will allow it to refine heavier Canadian crude oil. Under BP's new water permit, the company, which already is one of the largest polluters of the Great Lakes, can release 54 percent more ammonia and 35 percent more suspended solids, or tiny particles of pollutants that come from sludge.

Although the amounts are still below federal water-quality standards, BP's new permit represents the first time in years that a company has been allowed to increase the amount of pollution it dumps into the lake.

In addition, the new water permit gives the refinery until 2012 to meet stringent federal limits on mercury discharges even though the federal government had ordered states to severely limit mercury discharges into the Great Lakes more than a decade ago.

Ammonia promotes algae blooms that can kill fish, while suspended solids contain heavy metals such as lead and nickel. Mercury threatens the health of humans and fish.

Last week, Gov. Rod Blagojevich joined federal lawmakers in blasting BP on Capitol Hill, leading to overwhelming passage of a House resolution to condemn the plan.

In its defense, BP, the nation's fourth-largest refinery, said it was investing $150 million in upgrades to its current wastewater treatment plans while using the best available technology in the facility to protect the lake from dangerous pollutants.

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency officials Peter Swenson and John Mooney also offered assurances at Monday's news conference that the pollution discharges at the plant would not jeopardize the safety of the lake for humans or fish.

The assurances, however, did not satisfy Kirk or the suburban mayors whose communities border the lakefront.

"This is mind-baffling," said Waukegan Mayor Richard Hyde, whose city is working on a $1.2 billion plan to improve its once industrial shoreline into a residential hub. "It all comes down to, the big guys are going to do what they want to do anyway."

The suburban mayors vowed to exert as much pressure as possible on environmental regulatory officials, Indiana officials and BP to scrap the plan.

"We all have to stick together," said Highwood Mayor Vincent Donofrio.

Kirk said he would propose legislation to remove federal tax benefits from BP or any company that seeks to increase harmful discharges into the lake.

Such measures could make such plans too unprofitable to go forward, Kirk said.

But the 10th District lawmaker from Highland Park also questioned how the permits had been issued by EPA officials in the first place.

"If pollution is allowed to increase in the Great Lakes, there's something wrong with the system," Kirk said.

Can't let a little polution get in the way of profits.
It will all balance out anyway.
Mercury is a naturally ocuring substance.
Darn fish huggers.
etc....

Well mercury is a naturally occuring substance (I mean it is on the periodic table). Lakes will receive mercury from natural discharges such as erosion of rocks and volcanos.

There is virtually no historical record of anyone actually getting affected by mercury other than Minamoto, Japan.
This is much ado about nothing, the regulations are already ridiculously strict and again there is virtually no record in generations past of mercury in lakes or elsewhere sickening people, at times when they dumped a heck of a lot more.

It's just an oppurtunity for some politicians and activists to have a cause in to rail against corps for.

"There is virtually no historical record of anyone actually getting affected by mercury other than Minamoto, Japan."

You sure about that, Danny Boy?

I'd just like to hear you say, "Yes, I'm absolutely certain about that."

Well mercury is a naturally occuring substance (I mean it is on the periodic table). Lakes will receive mercury from natural discharges such as erosion of rocks and volcanos.

There is virtually no historical record of anyone actually getting affected by mercury other than Minamoto, Japan.
This is much ado about nothing, the regulations are already ridiculously strict and again there is virtually no record in generations past of mercury in lakes or elsewhere sickening people, at times when they dumped a heck of a lot more.

It's just an oppurtunity for some politicians and activists to have a cause in to rail against corps for.
I will be moving back to Wisconsin in about a month. I think I will get involved.

I have been reading your remarks since you came back into the fold, and I can hardly call you a Goldwater Conservatuive. In fact when he was running for president. I lived in Sheboygan, and had the only Solid Goldwater car in the country (long story) but I was solidly against Johnson, and for Barry.

Frankly, after reading your "STUFF", I can understand why Damo got upset when I accidently typoed him as DANO.

"There is virtually no historical record of anyone actually getting affected by mercury other than Minamoto, Japan."

You sure about that, Danny Boy?

I'd just like to hear you say, "Yes, I'm absolutely certain about that."

Obviously, cases of mass death by mercury poisoning are rare. That isn't the primary issue.

The other issue is the health affects of chronic or acute exposure to low levels of mercury. Its a scientific fact that mercury is a toxin that causes health problems at low levels of exposure over a period of time. Including damage to the nervous system and the kidneys.

did I call that naturally occuring reply or not ? :D

It sounds like Dano has ingested a wee bit too much mercury to me.
Dano ever wonder where the phrase "mad as a hatter" came from ?

I will be moving back to Wisconsin in about a month. I think I will get involved.

I have been reading your remarks since you came back into the fold, and I can hardly call you a Goldwater Conservatuive. In fact when he was running for president. I lived in Sheboygan, and had the only Solid Goldwater car in the country (long story) but I was solidly against Johnson, and for Barry.

Frankly, after reading your "STUFF", I can understand why Damo got upset when I accidently typoed him as DANO.
Danny's back? Cool. AssWipe is getting too predictable.

Oh Danny Boy the libs, the libs are calling
From group to group all up and down the web
Your Mommy's zoned out on Valium again
So 'tis time to make like a shock jock.

Back