Brett Favre

I have always been a huge fan of Brett. The first time I saw him play, was as QB of Southern Miss when they upset Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Oddly enough, that would have made me HATE most other QBs for life, but I was impressed with his command of the game, and what he made happen on the field. I remember when he played for Atlanta for one season, he made 4 passes and 2 were interceptions. Glanville didn't want them to draft him, and never wanted to play him. He was traded to the Packers the next season, it is probably the single worst mistake in sports history. I don't need to tell you what he did from there.

Now as much as I love Favre, it is utterly painful for me to watch this season. After the final game of last season for the Vikings, in the NFC Championship with the Saints, I was all but certain he would retire. He took a brutal pounding in that game, and I just didn't see how he could even think of playing another year. After the game, some reporter asked him if he would return, and I thought... dude, did you SEE the physical abuse he just took? But here he is, playing through yet another season... taking a pounding from men half his age. He has two compression fractures in his ankle... (basically a broken ankle.) Someone speculated, unless they cut his foot off, he'll start this week, and he did. In the game against the Patriots, he took several violent hits, the kind that would send most of us to the hospital, and most NFL quarterbacks to the locker room with a concussion. Finally, in the fourth quarter, he takes a final hit... helmet to the chin... 10 stitches.. out of the game. His performance in the game was stellar, he can still play football... but can his 41-year-old body hold up to this kind of abuse, week in and week out?

I watched the decline of Joe Namath, hobbling around in a Rams uniform his final years, and Montana, hobbling around in a Chiefs uniform, but for some reason, this one leaves me physically ill to watch. Unlike Bradshaw and Stauback, who knew when to hang it up, Brett Favre isn't built that way, he'll keep playing as long as he can suit up. If I were his coach, I'd have to start thinking about moving him to a backup role, even though I know that wouldn't sit well with Favre. I just hate to see him go out this way.

I agree with Dixie completely on this one. I do wish he'd retire and get back to the farm or ranch or where ever it is in MS that he lives. He was/is a good quarterback but when it's time to hang up the cleats ... it's time to hang up the cleats.

He may just do that.... the Vikings just released Randy Moss.

I AM GLAD FOR THIS!! :good4u:

After his little tirade yesterday, I am GLAD someone had the balls to put him in his place. Of course, someone will pick him up, he's too good to pass up. But MAYBE this will teach him a lesson about running his smart mouth.

I'm a big Favre fan too. I don't think he should retire, everyone keeps saying he's too old, but his best year was last year, arguably his best comeback and his highest yards was just the last game.
When he was with the Jets he played well until he started feeling his shoulder injury, he played really well last year with no injuries, he played not great this year with his tendonitis in his elbow. So the thing is, so long as his arm is fine, he's still a great player. Yeah I know as you age it's easier to get injured and it takes longer to heal, so you could make the argument that way but still it's not enough to quit.

I don't think an ankle injury matters much to any quarterback not named Vick.

I'm a big Favre fan too. I don't think he should retire, everyone keeps saying he's too old, but his best year was last year, arguably his best comeback and his highest yards was just the last game.
When he was with the Jets he played well until he started feeling his shoulder injury, he played really well last year with no injuries, he played not great this year with his tendonitis in his elbow. So the thing is, so long as his arm is fine, he's still a great player. Yeah I know as you age it's easier to get injured and it takes longer to heal, so you could make the argument that way but still it's not enough to quit.

I don't think an ankle injury matters much to any quarterback not named Vick.

Gotta hand it to him, he had a CAREER game yesterday! Un-freakin-believable! Broken ankle, busted jaw, he just shakes it off and has the best passing game of his career. I don't know that there's ever been another QB like him.. you'd have to go way back, that's for sure.

I hate to see the Vikings waste this opportunity, because I think this is his last season for sure. But if they don't get their shit together quick, it's over for them. I actually think cutting Moss was a good thing, and they don't need to fire the coach just yet. They do need to have some kind of 'meeting of the minds' and decide what they are going to do this season, Favre can't hold them together by himself for very long.

Back