Bring Back the Baskets

Phantasmal

Harris/Walz
Staff member
A fond childhood memory is making May Day Baskets. We put sprigs of lilacs or mock orange plus candy into each, left them on neighbors porches, rang the bell, yelled “Happy May Day” and ran.

I wonder if anyone still does this? I did it with my kids, but I don’t think my kids do it :(

I thought May Day was the day when the Soviet Union had those parades with all of the military paraphernalia.

Its other name was Try to Scare the West Shitless Day. In the end, it didn't work.

I remember May 5th being a big day because major pay per view boxing matches were usually scheduled in the days before streaming took over.
The Mexican Americans were really big on it for some reason. It was fun.

I thought May Day was the day when the Soviet Union had those parades with all of the military paraphernalia.

Its other name was Try to Scare the West Shitless Day. In the end, it didn't work.

I remember May 5th being a big day because major pay per view boxing matches were usually scheduled in the days before streaming took over.
I guess May baskets were the Midwest’s way of subverting the Soviets. ;)

A fond childhood memory is making May Day Baskets. We put sprigs of lilacs or mock orange plus candy into each, left them on neighbors porches, rang the bell, yelled “Happy May Day” and ran.

I wonder if anyone still does this? I did it with my kids, but I don’t think my kids do it :(

I never heard of that, but I would like to find a random basket of flowers and candy on my porch!

Looks like it worked.
I tend to be too critical of Middle America, I guess.
Sorry.
Don’t be, I’m critical of them myself. It’s why I won’t live in my home town, again, by choice. I will say that my hometown is very diverse for a small farming community, but there are a lot of people that resent it is.

I never heard of this tradition, but it sounds lovely. I guess here our baskets would have dead-looking twigs and leftover Easter candy. And the bears would eat them before the neighbors found them. lol

They DID have those big parades with the missiles and stuff. In nicer places, people set up a May pole and danced around it. In even earlier times they danced around the May pole nude, then chased each other through the fields and forests. May Day (aka Beltane) is a fertility festival that goes back thousands of years.

I guess the Soviets were compensating with those big missiles. lol

My avatar is not Soviet.

I think May Day has been a thing long before parades on Red Square. Something tells me May Day traditions might go back to the middle ages.
The Catholic Church, May is a big month celebrating Mary. I remember parades around the block of the church, and making and wearing wreaths of flowers on my head.

Hello Phantasmal,

Sounds great. Random acts of kindness.

Love it.

Never heard of it, but it sounds wonderful.

The Catholic Church May is a big month celebrating Mary. I remember parades around the block of the church, and making and wearing wreaths of flowers on my head.

I think historically May Day was some kind of celebration of the return of Spring, and I suspect it has roots in the European Middle Ages - maybe even based on earlier pagan traditions.

I never heard of this tradition, but it sounds lovely. I guess here our baskets would have dead-looking twigs and leftover Easter candy. And the bears would eat them before the neighbors found them. lol
You always make me laugh. I had the kids make paper flowers in Alaska, same problem, no bears, but we had moose.

"Cinco de Mayo
Cinco de Mayo is an annual celebration held on May 5. The date is observed to commemorate the Mexican Army's victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla, on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza. The victory of the smaller Mexican force against a larger French force was a boost to morale for the Mexicans.Wikipedia"

Back