Bush Hits New Low

Cancel7

Banned
Things aren't looking good for our hero.

NEWSWEEK Poll: Bush Hits All-Time Low
George W. Bush has the lowest presidential approval rating in a generation, and the leading Dems beat every major ’08 Republican. Coincidence?
WEB EXCLUSIVE
By Marcus Mabry
Newsweek
Updated: 10:31 a.m. ET May 5, 2007
May 5, 2007 - It’s hard to say which is worse news for Republicans: that George W. Bush now has the worst approval rating of an American president in a generation, or that he seems to be dragging every ’08 Republican presidential candidate down with him. But According to the new NEWSWEEK Poll, the public’s approval of Bush has sunk to 28 percent, an all-time low for this president in our poll, and a point lower than Gallup recorded for his father at Bush Sr.’s nadir. The last president to be this unpopular was Jimmy Carter who also scored a 28 percent approval in 1979. This remarkably low rating seems to be casting a dark shadow over the GOP’s chances for victory in ’08. The NEWSWEEK Poll finds each of the leading Democratic contenders beating the Republican frontrunners in head-to-head matchups.

Perhaps that explains why Republican candidates, participating in their first major debate this week, mentioned Bush’s name only once, but Ronald Reagan’s 19 times. (The debate was held at Reagan’s presidential library.)

When the NEWSWEEK Poll asked more than 1,000 adults on Wednesday and Thursday night (before and during the GOP debate) which president showed the greatest political courage—meaning being brave enough to make the right decisions for the country, even if it jeopardized his popularity —more respondents volunteered Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton (18 percent each) than any other president. Fourteen percent of adults named John F. Kennedy and 10 percent said Abraham Lincoln. Only four percent mentioned George W. Bush. (Then again, only five percent volunteered Franklin Roosevelt and only three percent said George Washington.)

A majority of Americans believe Bush is not politically courageous: 55 percent vs. 40 percent. And nearly two out of three Americans (62 percent) believe his recent actions in Iraq show he is “stubborn and unwilling to admit his mistakes,” compared to 30 percent who say Bush’s actions demonstrate that he is “willing to take political risks to do what’s right.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18505030/site/newsweek/

The incredible thing is that congressional Republicans are still "standing by their man". Almost lock-step.

He's dragging their party down. I wonder when they're going to start running away from him???

The incredible thing is that congressional Republicans are still "standing by their man". Almost lock-step.

He's dragging their party down. I wonder when they're going to start running away from him???

Supposedly in Sept, but I think that you were right when you said they probably wouldnt at all.

Supposedly in Sept, but I think that you were right when you said they probably wouldnt at all.

If your reasoning is that republicans need to distance themselves completely from Bush for any chance at success you are sorely mistaken. Many come from districts or States that still strongly support many of Bushs' policies.

Right. They've worshipped at the altar of Bush for 5 1/2 years - it would be politically impossible for them to come out against bush now, the way a lot of Dems did against LBJ and his war.

You can be sure there are GOP strategy sessions right now, discussing how to walk that delicate balance of making it look like their putting distance between them and bush, without taking any real substantive steps to challenge him, or make him accountable in any tangible way.

Short answer: they're a bunch of pantywaistes ;)

If your reasoning is that republicans need to distance themselves completely from Bush for any chance at success you are sorely mistaken. Many come from districts or States that still strongly support many of Bushs' policies.

Utah, Idaho or Texas ? I think that is about it.

Utah, Idaho or Texas ? I think that is about it.

Voters are still faced with choice and cut and run isn't a real popular one with a lot of folks. If someone proposed that we simply bomb Baghdad into oblivion and nuked Iran you may be shocked to see the support that idea gets. Lose the "madate" mentality---it's a myth.

Voters are still faced with choice and cut and run isn't a real popular one with a lot of folks. If someone proposed that we simply bomb Baghdad into oblivion and nuked Iran you may be shocked to see the support that idea gets. Lose the "madate" mentality---it's a myth.

"Voters are still faced with choice and cut and run isn't a real popular one with a lot of folks."

Gallup Poll April 23, 2007:

-Favor Timeline for Withdrawl: 57%
-Oppose Timeline: 39%

NY Times Poll April 20, 2007:

-Favor Timeline: 64%
-Oppose Timeline: 32%

Wall Street Journal Poll, April 20, 2007:

-Favor Timeline: 56%
-Oppose Timeline: 37%

Pew Poll, April 18, 2007:

-Favor Timeline: 59%
-Oppose Timeline: 33%

pollingreport.com

"Voters are still faced with choice and cut and run isn't a real popular one with a lot of folks."

Gallup Poll April 23, 2007:

-Favor Timeline for Withdrawl: 57%
-Oppose Timeline: 39%

NY Times Poll April 20, 2007:

-Favor Timeline: 64%
-Oppose Timeline: 32%

Wall Street Journal Poll, April 20, 2007:

-Favor Timeline: 56%
-Oppose Timeline: 37%

Pew Poll, April 18, 2007:

-Favor Timeline: 59%
-Oppose Timeline: 33%

pollingreport.com

FYI---Senators and Congressmen are NOT elected by a process that includes everyone in America. For your statistics to have any meaning in relationship to why all Reublicans aren't jumping ship you would have to show these statistics State by State and District by District.

FYI---Senators and Congressmen are NOT elected by a process that includes everyone in America. For your statistics to have any meaning in relationship to why all Reublicans aren't jumping ship you would have to show these statistics State by State and District by District.

You're right.

I think you should encourage your Party to gear up for the 2008 elections, by running on a platform strongly supportive of the Iraq War, supportive of the way Bush has managed it, and against any form of timelines or benchmarks for withdrawl.

That's the strongest position for your party to take. You may even win back the house and senate with that position.

You've convinced me. I agree with you, that running on your war is the GOPs strongest card to play.

Cypress I feel that the polls show that about 1/3 of the country is mentally ill or deficient in some way.

You're right.

I think you should encourage your Party to gear up for the 2008 elections, by running on a platform strongly supportive of the Iraq War, supportive of the way Bush has managed it, and against any form of timelines or benchmarks for withdrawl.

That's the strongest position for your party to take. You may even win back the house and senate with that position.

You've convinced me. I agree with you, that running on your war is the GOPs strongest card to play.

This is the question you proffered. I was explaining to you some very common sense reasoning for all the Republicans not dashing off to join the cut and run crowd. Even you own poll stats prove that roughly 30% of Americans DO NOT favor a "phased" cut and run which should explain to why some Republicans are cautiously maintaining thier support for the war effort.
Fear not tho-----I guarantee you that whoever the Republican nominees are, the will NOT be proposing that the exact Iraq strategy be continued.

This is the question you proffered. I was explaining to you some very common sense reasoning for all the Republicans not dashing off to join the cut and run crowd. Even you own poll stats prove that roughly 30% of Americans DO NOT favor a "phased" cut and run which should explain to why some Republicans are cautiously maintaining thier support for the war effort.
Fear not tho-----I guarantee you that whoever the Republican nominees are, the will NOT be proposing that the exact Iraq strategy be continued.

Is one of them going to have a "secret plan" to get us out of Iraq that they can't share until after they're elected?

I sure hope the Repubs keep on supporting bush until after November 2008 :)
We need more dems in government.

I sure hope the Repubs keep on supporting bush until after November 2008 :)
We need more dems in government.

Im with both you and Cypress on that.

sure they might keep a couple of congressional seats from the backwoods, but they are going to get f'ing creamed in the Senate, and goodbye white house.

Support bush, support the war! I am all for it.

Im with both you and Cypress on that.

sure they might keep a couple of congressional seats from the backwoods, but they are going to get f'ing creamed in the Senate, and goodbye white house.

Support bush, support the war! I am all for it.

lol

C'mon Darla. You need to say that with less sarcasm, if we're really going to convince Bush fans that sticking by the quagmire they got us into is the best card they have. I have a feeling only a veto-proof majority in the congress is the only way to turn this country around for the better ;)

lol

C'mon Darla. You need to say that with less sarcasm, if we're really going to convince Bush fans that sticking by the quagmire they got us into is the best card they have. I have a feeling only a veto-proof majority in the congress is the only way to turn this country around for the better ;)

I'll work on being more convincing.

Back