Bush, The Oath of Office, & The Constitution of the United States

Prakosh

Recently Bush was quoted as saying, "My first job is to protect the homeland." This explains two things, one, why he thinks that the most important job is protecting the homeland, and why he cares so little about the Constitution. It also may explain why he seems unable to tell the difference between martial law and his job as Commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces, not the civilian population of the country. I guess someone else took the oath or read it for him, or perhaps like Reagan he suffers from Alzhiemer's.

The oath of office which is short and direct clearly says: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

So it is clear that Bush has forgotten what job he really raised his hand and swore to do. But this might be because he has been trying to get around the Constitution from the moment he stepped into the oval office. Now he is blatantly trying to change a treaty that we signed in 1947. It is unconscionable that he would attempt to change this treaty at this time. The Constitution clearly says that "all Treaties made, or shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the Supreme Law of the Land" (Article VI). I guess it is time for George Bush to begin taking his oath of office seriously, he has in fact sworn to uphold the Constitution on 2 occasions, you’d think he would have understood what he was saying by now.

Back