Bush v. Clinton (aka, "how to make SFreak's head explode")

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
-8 Years of Clinton/Gore = approx. 22 Million Net New Jobs

-9 Years of Bush41/Bush43 = approx. 8 Million Net New Jobs

BushClintonJobs.jpg

But the economy is doing great ! buy stock! :rolleyes:
and gas is oh so cheap.
It is relatively cheap. What is it compared to the 70s with inflation factored in?

Seriously, gas is not as expensive as people want to react to. Sticker shock mostly.

-8 Years of Clinton/Gore = approx. 22 Million Net New Jobs

-9 Years of Bush41/Bush43 = approx. 8 Million Net New Jobs

BushClintonJobs.jpg

So? Was this supposed to start a great discussion? I have never once stated that the economy wasn't good while Clinton was in office.

It is relatively cheap. What is it compared to the 70s with inflation factored in?

Seriously, gas is not as expensive as people want to react to. Sticker shock mostly.

Yeah gas is ok on price. I actually wish it was higher so people would cut back consumption. That is the only way they will cut back. Spoiled lazy americans....

But the economy is pretty mediocre.

Yeah gas is ok on price. I actually wish it was higher so people would cut back consumption. That is the only way they will cut back. Spoiled lazy americans....

It has been the goal of the Fed to create a slower more sustainable growth rate since Reagan's appointment of Greenspan. It seems that they are doing that job well, one of the few that the government seems to be doing what they attempt to.

It has been the goal of the Fed to create a slower more sustainable growth rate since Reagan's appointment of Greenspan. It seems that they are doing that job well, one of the few that the government seems to be doing what they attempt to.

Actually is was Volker who began that policy.

Damn....

Must be nice...to be a honest person in this debate...shit it sure hurts my budget...and yours too when ya retire..enjoy while you can!:pke:

Right....

and you drug out the old nag from the barn to adjust for fuel prices...I have your number!

Damo, gas just recently (for a short time) surpassed all previous records for price adjusted for inflation. It's back down now, but projections have it going back up soon since the baseline assumption is now about $76/barrel. I think when Clinton left office it was somewhere around $30/barrel.

Damo, gas just recently (for a short time) surpassed all previous records for price adjusted for inflation. It's back down now, but projections have it going back up soon since the baseline assumption is now about $76/barrel. I think when Clinton left office it was somewhere around $30/barrel.
I asked a question, I wasn't making a judgment. Seriously, in other nations they pay upwards of 3 times what we pay and it still doesn't stop them from driving. Of the nations in Europe that signed the Kyoto Protocol, 16 have already stated that they will never make the projected goals...

However, at this time it is still below that? That was the point I was making. Everybody has been telling us that gas is "going up huge" and we find that it barely surpassed the 1970s?

It helps make my point, not degrade it. Gas is not that hugely expensive at this time. It is an expense that people pay attention to because it is constantly needed, sticker shock tends to make people get excited for a while until it settles in that this is the price.

In case you don't remember, the time they're referring to in the 1970s was the OIL CRISIS. The fact that prices are steadily and reliably at crisis levels isn't something you can spin away from.

I asked a question, I wasn't making a judgment. Seriously, in other nations they pay upwards of 3 times what we pay and it still doesn't stop them from driving. Of the nations in Europe that signed the Kyoto Protocol, 16 have already stated that they will never make the projected goals...

However, at this time it is still below that? That was the point I was making. Everybody has been telling us that gas is "going up huge" and we find that it barely surpassed the 1970s?

It helps make my point, not degrade it. Gas is not that hugely expensive at this time. It is an expense that people pay attention to because it is constantly needed, sticker shock tends to make people get excited for a while until it settles in that this is the price.

Yes they drive where gas is more expensive than here but not nearly as much.
Find the miles driven per driver by country somewhere. I heard it on PBS a couple of years ago and we drive multiples times as many miles per driver than pretty much the rest of the world. And that includes the countries where the gas is subsidized and extremely cheap.

And yes I understand the valid reasons why we drive more. Mainly lack of mass transit and poor planning.
Then there is the Americans Autoerotic love affair with vehicles...

I know of many where having a nice vehicle is the paramount thing in their lives.....Sad.....

In case you don't remember, the time they're referring to in the 1970s was the OIL CRISIS. The fact that prices are steadily and reliably at crisis levels isn't something you can spin away from.
Yet, we do know that supply and demand also creates a rise in prices. In the 70s there was no demand in India, or in China. Not to speak of, at least. There are valid reasons for the increase without running around like Chicken Little and crying doom.

It is amazing that during such a period that we are currently in that the prices have remained relatively low.

It is not my argument that there is no increase, just that it hasn't even changed our current driving habits. It isn't as large an increase as people scream about, and it is largely due to sticker shock. Over time we will get used to the increase and it will resettle.

Personally I wish we were trying harder to work toward a totally different form of energy and to become the supplier for that one, thus creating a staple for a new economy in the future. The reason that I point out that the prices aren't as alarming as those complaints make them seem isn't because I don't think we should be doing something about the issue. It is just an observation.

The current law of supply and demand is not on raw oil but on the limited refining process. Plenty of supply of oil out there for now, just not enough refined product.

The current law of supply and demand is not on raw oil but on the limited refining process. Plenty of supply of oil out there for now, just not enough refined product.
I wish that they would actually open up new refineries on the former military bases like they suggested so long ago....

When the US is actually imported refined product rather than refining their own, we are paying too much.

I wish that they would actually open up new refineries on the former military bases like they suggested so long ago....

When the US is actually imported refined product rather than refining their own, we are paying too much.

Yep , But then I suppose that is the business plan of Big oil...More profit from their offshore facilities...Route the profit thru several angles so it does not appear that they are making as much money as they really are.

I worked for a Japanese owned company for a few years. The head company in japan charged so much for the materials that we sold that there was no way we could make a profit. After the tax breaks ran out they sold the company...
However the head company made nice money...

Last edited:
William J. Clinton

During the administration of William Jefferson Clinton, the U.S. enjoyed more peace and economic well being than at any time in its history. He was the first Democratic president since Franklin D. Roosevelt to win a second term. He could point to the lowest unemployment rate in modern times, the lowest inflation in 30 years, the highest home ownership in the country's history, dropping crime rates in many places, and reduced welfare rolls. He proposed the first balanced budget in decades and achieved a budget surplus.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/bc42.html

Back