Bush's relationship with Southern women on the rocks

uscitizen

Villified User
Bush's relationship with Southern women on the rocks
POSTED: 10:12 a.m. EDT, September 7, 2006

MACON, Georgia (AP) -- President Bush's once-solid relationship with Southern women is on the rocks.

"I think history will show him to be the worst president since Ulysses S. Grant," said Barbara Knight, a self-described Republican since birth and the mother of three. "He's been an embarrassment."

In the heart of Dixie, comparisons to Grant, a symbol of the Union, is the worst sort of insult, especially from a Macon woman who voted for Bush in 2000 but turned away in 2004.

In recent years, Southern women have been some of Bush's biggest fans, defying the traditional gender gap in which women have preferred Democrats to Republicans. Bush secured a second term due in large part to support from 54 percent of Southern female voters while women nationally favored Democrat John Kerry, 51-48 percent.

"In 2004, you saw an utter collapse of the gender gap in the South," said Karen Kaufmann, a professor of government at the University of Maryland who has studied women's voting patterns. White Southern women liked Bush because "he spoke their religion and he spoke their values."
Anger, frustration building

Now, anger over the Iraq war and frustration with the country's direction have taken a toll on the president's popularity and stirred dissatisfaction with the Republican-held Congress.

Republicans on the ballot this November have reason to worry. A recent Associated Press-Ipsos poll found that three out of five Southern women surveyed said they planned to vote for a Democrat in the midterm elections. With control of the Senate and House in the balance, such a seismic shift could have dire consequences for the GOP.

For complete story goto:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/09/07/southern.women.ap/index.html

I've read the article, doesn't change my assessment that I predict will be 100% accurate. I will bet that they won't vote for him next time.

My sister a two time Bush voter told me last night she will be holding her nose and voting a stright Democratic ticket this November as a message to Bush about how upset she is. She finally realized she had been duped and called me to say I was right all along!

I've read the article, doesn't change my assessment that I predict will be 100% accurate. I will bet that they won't vote for him next time.

I think it will be a while before many of them will vote for any Republican.

LOL. He ain't gonna. When I was a teen I had a plan with a friend of mine, we would run as a team, then swap places and run again...

Imagine if Clinton/Gore had become Gore/Clinton with a promise of more of the same policy?

I think it will be a while before many of them will vote for any Republican.
I'm unhappy with Bush, that doesn't mean I'd vote Democrat. It is more likely that they may stay home than it is they'll switch party entirely.

Don't get me wrong, I believe Bush has damaged the Party's chances in the present elections, I just don't think that they are all going to go vote D...

:cool:

that is the way it has gone, demos in control until the people start forgetting how bad the repubs screwed them last time, so repubs for a short time and demos for quite a while again.

LOL. He ain't gonna. When I was a teen I had a plan with a friend of mine, we would run as a team, then swap places and run again...

Imagine if Clinton/Gore had become Gore/Clinton with a promise of more of the same policy?

that is also possible Damo, not probable though.

More of the same ? Heck I will take that over the bush admin anyday :)
Good economy, no war in Iraq, etc....

I'm unhappy with Bush, that doesn't mean I'd vote Democrat. It is more likely that they may stay home than it is they'll switch party entirely.

Don't get me wrong, I believe Bush has damaged the Party's chances in the present elections, I just don't think that they are all going to go vote D...

:cool:

I agree most will not vote dem, but if a large group stay home or vote third party it will be net gain toward liberalism for the Nation.

And in my estimation a posative step toward repairing some of the dammage Bush caused.

I think most will go and vote for their Rep who they "know" regardless of Bush. When it comes right down to it and they are in the booth they will go with what they know... Some will stay home and others may vote third party...

I'm not sure what I will do. I'll vote for my rep, he is strong on border issues. I won't vote for a candidate that ignores the borders. I won't even give money to the party until they begin to address this issue.... Which neither of the majors are doing right now at all.

I think most will go and vote for their Rep who they "know" regardless of Bush. When it comes right down to it and they are in the booth they will go with what they know... Some will stay home and others may vote third party...

I'm not sure what I will do. I'll vote for my rep, he is strong on border issues. I won't vote for a candidate that ignores the borders. I won't even give money to the party until they begin to address this issue.... Which neither of the majors are doing right now at all.

I hope many stay home!

In 2004, all of the incumbents in my state were re-elected. But I noticed that Republicans tended to be re-elected by margins of 80-20, whilst Democrats were re-elected with narrower margins of 40-60. Maybe that'll change this time around. Hell, maybe one of those Republicans in the north of our state will even be ousted this time.

Back