California gets laughed at...but, we always end up being Right in the end

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
Our problem, is that we're always ten years ahead of the rest of the country. By the time they catch up and realize we were right all along, we're ten years ahead of them again :clink:

What Happened to the California Dream?
Posted July 18, 2007

How long have people been making fun of us left-coast, tree-hugging, frisbee-tossing, granola-crunching, animal-loving, tofu-eating, yoga-practicing, peacenik eco-nuts?

The thing is, people are starting to realize that all of these ridiculed things are good for us-- and for the country and the planet. They are the right choices.

Sure, everyone had a good laugh. But it's a few years later now and the consequences of years of bad choices are catching up. People who mocked tofu-eaters and Frisbee-tossers are realizing they don't want to be fat and out of shape--some are even dying of heart attacks and diabetes. Granola and tofu are good for you, especially compared to the fast food, meat and white breat that were being eaten in their stead.

And what about the eco-nuts? They aren't looking all that nutty today, are they? The people who laughed about tree-hugging econ-nuts are spending $60 to fill their gas tanks and worryng about their coastal property values declining as the water rises. Meanwhile Californians are driving hybrids in proportions greater than the rest of the country. Who is laughing now?

California used to lead the way. It used to be the "conventional wisdom" that innovative, inspiring and progressive ideas came from California and spread across the country. But unfortunately California also led a national wave of conservative-inspired tax-cutting. We ate our seed corn, and allowed our schools and legal system and highways and other crucial infrastructure to deteriorate. And rather than pay taxes we racked up debt.

But we learned from that and now California is waking up. We just tossed out a Congressman for trying to get rid of the Endangered Species Act. We are standing up to the big oil companies and demanding fuel economy and air quality standards. We are standing up to the big tobacco companies and pioneering smoking bans in restaurants and bars. California is pioneering stem cell research. And we are working on finding the way to providing universal health care!

California is beginning to lead the way again.

So the next time you hear someone laugh at people for doing something you know in your heart is the right thing to do, remind them that bad choices eventually lead to bad outcomes.

And, by the way, now that we are living with the alternative, that whole "peace and love" thing is looking a whole lot better, too. Oh yeah.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dave-johnson/what-happened-to-the-cali_b_56774.html

Our problem, is that we're always ten years ahead of the rest of the country. By the time they catch up and realize we were right all along, we're ten years ahead of them again :clink:

"""But unfortunately California also led a national wave of conservative-inspired tax-cutting."""

That's the best part of the piece and he declares it 'unfortunate'???

If I may quote Eric Cartman "G*ddamn Hippies!" :)

Ahahaha, by the time Alaska catches up...well, let's just say that it isn't pretty.

"""But unfortunately California also led a national wave of conservative-inspired tax-cutting."""

That's the best part of the piece and he declares it 'unfortunate'???

If I may quote Eric Cartman "G*ddamn Hippies!" :)

And, it shows in some areas, like education. California use to be the leader, and now...?

there's a reason you have the highest real estate in the country and are more like your own country, be nice if the rest of us were only a year behind you.
I've only been to Long Beach and Catalina Island twice (once for the honeymoon).
Drive from Long BEach to San Diago is even better than Miami to Key West.
I'd transfer in a heart beat if we had a job in Socal where Jim Rome is king of the jungle.
Need to Check out San Diago as I really did the Diving/Sailing/Fishing opportunities.:clink:

I agreer, as long as we stay way----WAY-----"WAY"away from politics.

there's a reason you have the highest real estate in the country and are more like your own country, be nice if the rest of us were only a year behind you.
I've only been to Long Beach and Catalina Island twice (once for the honeymoon).
Drive from Long BEach to San Diago is even better than Miami to Key West.
I'd transfer in a heart beat if we had a job in Socal where Jim Rome is king of the jungle.
Need to Check out San Diago as I really did the Diving/Sailing/Fishing opportunities.:clink:

The central coast, between santa barbara and santa cruz is absolutly horrible. Hell on earth. Don't even think about moving to or retiring there.

Mississippi has the worst education system in America, and only the third lowest taxes (as a percentage of total income). I guess we get less for more :( .

Sheesh, you guys should've seen some of my teachers. Atrocious. And the subject matter! Uhgg...

Back