Can you spot the nightjar?

cancel2 2022

Canceled
It is an incredible example of one of nature's camoflague experts in action. Hidden in the image is a nightjar - blending in perfectly on a forest floor.

Researchers hope that by getting people to spot it and other examples of camouflage, they can learn about human vision.

article-0-1BB7E16800000578-606_634x354.jpg

Never heard of a nightjar. After I figured out it was a whippoorwill looking critter I must say that I still don't know if I can spot it. They camo up really well. If there is one in that pic I'd say he was up at the top at about 12:30 or 1 o'clock. Baby deer blend in really well also. Had one completely disappear by just lying down flat on an old dirt road.

Never heard of a nightjar. After I figured out it was a whippoorwill looking critter I must say that I still don't know if I can spot it. They camo up really well. If there is one in that pic I'd say he was up at the top at about 12:30 or 1 o'clock. Baby deer blend in really well also. Had one completely disappear by just lying down flat on an old dirt road.

The name nighthawk is sometimes loosely applied to the European nightjar (Caprimulgus europaeus) described above. However, the name usually denotes any of a genus (Chordeiles) of American nightjars. The American nighthawk has some characteristics in common with the European members of the nightjar family, such as the mottled plumage and the nocturnal catching of flying insects. The common nighthawk (Chordeiles minor) inhabits most of North America, though it migrates to South America for the winter. It is about 8-12 inches long and has grayish brown plumage with white on the throat and on the wings. The nighthawk has a sharp nasal call. During courtship it dives swiftly, sometimes almost vertically, and creates audible whirring sounds. The name nighthawk is a simple combination of night ("nocturnal") and hawk, popularly applied to the nighthawk because of a perceived similarity to a hawk in behavior or appearance, though the nighthawk is a nightjar, not a hawk. Another name for the nighthawk is bullbat, so called from its roaring (bull-like) sound in flight. Here bat, like hawk in nighthawk, is used loosely and popularly, the bird being a nightjar, not a bat.

http://voices.yahoo.com/bullbat-goatsucker-nightjar-nighthawk-whippoorwill-4004763.html

Back