Can you still buy tinfoil ?

Hahaha. I don't think that foil has been made of tin for many, many decades, usc. Neither have tin cans been made of tin. I think it has something to do with negative effects of tin leeching out into food. Don't recall the details. (Maybe it affected memory!:p )

Hahaha. I don't think that foil has been made of tin for many, many decades, usc. Neither have tin cans been made of tin. I think it has something to do with negative effects of tin leeching out into food. Don't recall the details. (Maybe it affected memory!:p )
I believe that some tin cans are actually still tin . . . or a high zinc alloy that would probably be called tin in any earlier century. The ones that have a seam down one side, specifically. You can't use it with any food that's too acidic but it's still cheaper than pure aluminum.

Tin foil though? I'm afraid you're out of luck. Maybe at some specialty metals supplier or something, but you'd pay through the proverbial nose.

Long long ago, I worked for Silgan Containers Corporation, running tin can manufacturing plants.

Tin cans are still actually tin (tin plate on steel). These are the three piece (welded side seam) vegetable type can as opposed to the two piece aluminum soda cans. It has to do with economics and not metallic leachates. Side seam welded cans are all coated on the interior. A heavy lacquer layer in areas away from the side seam is applied at the tin mill, and a stripe material is sprayed on the welded seam after it is formed. Side seam welded cans are constraint bound by the physics of manufacturing at about 600 cans per minute per assembly line. Veggie cans tend to be a heavier gauge, which forces the use of the welding process, because the food is "cooked" in a retort sterilizer after cannning.

Two piece cans use a different process - drawing and forming - that tin could not withstand without fracturing. Two piece can rates are ~2000 cans per minute and have not reached the physical limits yet. Soda does not need to be sterilized, so the side walls can be extremly thin provided crushing loads can be tolerated by the can.

I believe that some tin cans are actually still tin . . . or a high zinc alloy that would probably be called tin in any earlier century. The ones that have a seam down one side, specifically. You can't use it with any food that's too acidic but it's still cheaper than pure aluminum.

Tin foil though? I'm afraid you're out of luck. Maybe at some specialty metals supplier or something, but you'd pay through the proverbial nose.
Just use the veggie cans (welded side seam) to form a hat. They are tinplate. True, tomato products (acidic) have a shelf life of about two years before they eat through the coatings. Corn has a near infinite life provided the can's hermetic seal is good.

all this is very interesting , but where can I get tinfoil for a hat. Or have the cons been lying about that too ?
It is really Aluminum foil hats ! Can't they get anything right ?

all this is very interesting , but where can I get tinfoil for a hat. Or have the cons been lying about that too ?
It is really Aluminum foil hats ! Can't they get anything right ?
Cons? I'd say those were lunatic Libertarians with the "tinfoil" hats.

ROTFLMAO, Exactly, but they are not "tinfoil hats", they are aluminum foil hats.
The cons just can't seem to get anything very accurately.
You have been scammed by the masters. It is tin foil hats that are effective, but the disinformation is that aluminum foil hats work. So using the Al hat leads one to believe that he is protected he is not, and puts money in the hands of the Illuminati Reynolds family - double whammy.

Why do you suppose that tin foil is so rare? Becuase it's effective. This is sort of a commodity based version of gun control - remove the ability to defend one's self.

Back