APP - Canadian chats with Ron Paul

(Excerpt) Monika Berenyi was searching for the post office in the complex network of U.S. Capitol Hill buildings when she turned a corner, transforming herself into an ambassador for Canada during the most-watched political race in the world.

The Toronto-based artist and historian was pursuing a research fellowship at the U.S. Library of Congress when a librarian sent her through the basement to her destination.

"I got lost and started following what appeared to be a labyrinth. I popped up somewhere. I realized as I was walking that I was in a government building ... and suddenly standing in front of Ron Paul's office."......

They met in the Cannon House building on June 22, a day that Paul already had five television interviews lined up.

Sitting in his office, the 76-year-old picked the brain of the woman 40 some-odd years his junior about Canada, history and philosophy......

When their talk was over, Paul asked if she could leave a signed copy of her book and to snap a photograph together.

She returned home, only realizing later that night she had forgotten to wish him well in his nomination run.

"He's often referred to as some kind of constitutional revivalist or libertarian or the man behind the archaic values, but as a human being he's deeply philosophical and he's a man of ideas," Berenyi said.

"I believe firmly we are going to look back on this epoch in history and we are going to try to understand ... his ability to be the spokesperson for things that nobody else seems to want to talk about." (End)
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/01/21/ron-paul-monika-berenyi_n_1220522.html?ir=Canada

A heart warming story. :)

Back