Cars in Mexico

Big Money

yucatan2009.jpg

Since the introduction of Mexico’s reformed immigration law last year, an issue related to the import of foreign-plated cars has arisen that is causing confusion and concern among expats.

The importation of goods (including vehicles) is a matter related to Aduana (Mexican Customs), not immigration; although since the reform of the immigration law these two have become more entwined as the revised rules concerning car imports are directly linked to the type of visa or tourist permit you carry.

Before the changes, people with FM3 (non-resident) permits were allowed to import a foreign-plated car to Mexico, and keep it in Mexico for so long as the FM3 remained valid.

This all changed when FM3 permits were discontinued and replaced with the new visa types and regulations which came into effect in November 2012.

Now the rules state that only people with FMM (Tourist Visas) and students carrying non-resident visas may import a foreign-plated vehicle for the duration of their temporary stay.

Furthermore, all existing foreign-plated vehicles in the country, brought here legally under the old rules, have been deemed illegal and must be exported (driven back to the US/Canada).

Banjercito (the government organization responsible for managing the car permits system) was allowing the import of these cars.

It’s important to note the line of seniority here: Aduana set the policy and Banjercito works to implement that policy.

We have heard of instances where expats with foreign-plated vehicles have been stopped and had their cars confiscated and impounded, so the official line is being enforced in some places.

We also understand that there is some lobbying going-on behind the scenes to encourage the government to reconsider the policy altogether.

http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2013/11/car-nationalization-all-an-expat-needs-to-know/

It's good to know you are so interested in Mexico. It certainly is a great place to retire. FYI... if your car is a NAFTA car, you can easily get it nationalized if you have a non-tourist visa. I have mexican plates on mine now, but we plan on trading it in on a 2014 Honda FIT early in this coming new year.

you posted a link about cars in Mexico. I merely thought I might add some further enlightenment of your topic. If you weren't interested in starting a discussion about cars in Mexico, why then did you post the thread in the first place?

it would seem so, based upon the number of threads you post about it... I wonder why you post a thread about cars in Mexico, and when I relate my personal experience with registering cars in Mexico, you criticize my reply....

odd.

Back