Cats Are Our Friends

protectionist

Verified User
Some us (like me) have cats at home. We love our cats. They give us love, affection, and are great pest controllers, keeping our homes free of mice, rats, large bugs. and (here in Florida) of lizards and snakes. What we sometimes forget is that the outside, homeless cats are our friends too. They also provide us with a 24/7 pest control service, and all free of poisonous chemicals, better than any humans could do.

The stray cats of our neighborhoods, like all cats, are relentless hunters. Other than when they're asleep, they never stop hunting prey. As such, when they're around, you can be sure mice and rats won't be. A rat can smell a cat from 100 yards away, and when they do, they won't go there. That's why I've never seen a rat in my apartment complex. We have quite a few stray cats here.

I go out at night and feed the little buddies. I also bring them clean, cold water on these hot Florida nights. This keeps them around, and helping us out. I once lived in an apartment complex where they didn't like cats. They called the Animal Control guys who put out traps for 3 days, and took all the cats away. Within a week, rats started showing up at the dumpsters. The second week, you could see them running down the streets, walking on the lower limbs of trees, and even in the swimming pool. In the 3rd week, they were getting into people's apartments, lured by cooking smells. Needless to say, 3 weeks after they disposed of the cats, they couldn't wait to get them back. They went down to the Humane Society, and adopted 20 cats, and set them free on the property.

In no time, the rats disappeared, as did the carpets of lizards (Cuban anoles), and Palmetto bugs. Order was restored. The residents of that place learned a valuable lesson. Be kind to your neighborhood stray cats. Feed them some cat food (not human scraps) and clean water, and they will repay you nicely.

Also, don't worry about cats walking or sitting on your car. Yes they do that, but they pull in their claws when they do, and only their soft foot pads touch the car. At worst, you might get a few cat footprints, but they tend to be soft dust, that blows away when you drive.

Last edited:
Some us (like me) have cats at homes. We love our cats. They give us love, affection, and are great pest controllers, keeping our homes free of mice, rats, large bugs. and (here in Florida) of lizards and snakes. What we sometimes forget is that the outside, homeless cats are our friends too. They also provide us with a 24/7 pest control service, and all free of poisonous chemicals, better than any humans could do.

The stray cats of our neighborhoods, like all cats, are relentless hunters. Other than when they're asleep, they never stop hunting prey. As such, when they're around, you can be sure mice and rats won't be. A rat can smell a cat from 100 yards away, and when they do, they won't go there. That's why I've never seen a rat in my apartment complex. We have quite a few stray cats here.

I go out at night and feed the little buddies. I also bring them clean, cold water on these hot Florida nights. This keeps them around, and helping us out. I once lived in an apartment complex where they didn't like cats. They called the Animal Control guys who put out traps for 3 days, and took all the cats away. Within a week, rats started showing up at the dumpsters. The second week, you could see them running down the streets, walking on the lower limbs of trees, and even in the swimming pool. In the 3rd week, they were getting into people's apartments, lured by cooking smells. Needless to say, 3 weeks after they disposed of the cats, they couldn't wait to get them back. They went down to the Humane Society, and adopted 20 cats, and set them free on the property.

In no time, the rats disappeared, as did the carpets of lizards (Cuban anoles), and Palmetto bugs. Order was restored. The residents of that place learned a valuable lesson. Be kind to your neighborhood stray cats. Feed them some cat food (not human scraps) and clean water, and they will repay you nicely.

Also, don't worry about cats walking or sitting on your car. Yes they do that, but they pull in their claws when they do, and only their soft foot pads touch the car. At worst, you might get a few cat footprints, but they tend to be soft dust, that blows away when you drive.

So you are one of those weirdos out there @ night walking around w/ a big bag of cat food.......:palm: LOL

Over the last 15 years or so I have had an outside cat I feed. When I moved to my new place about 6 years I was in the back yard & noticed mice in the backyard & as I feed the birds during the day I figured this was going to be a problem(never had them in the house)...

Did the traps, even bought a rat zapper which worked fairly well but it wasn't till one summer night I heard a noise in the bushes & turned on the light & saw the face of a big white cat(looked to be grinning like that Cheshire cat):idea::idea:.....

I started putting out some food every night & in 5 years I have seen two, one a year ago, the other maybe 3 years ago~& I seen them once each..

I have a good sized garden so that attracts them as well........ I am growing some heirloom tomatoes & not even a nibble on them or any traces of that.:D

I dunno what those other things are you mentioned as we don't have them here but I have not had problems w/ them going after birds as they come @ night as part of their territory patrol & usually they have on a collar-neighbors cats.....

The Sacramento county (which I live in) now has a program they call Barn Cat Adoptions).. Stray cats are fixed & then given out for critter control-extremely effective, gets rid of the stray problem & puts them to work doing what they do best..:)

No rats here, but my garden pests are a much bigger problem: deer. My 21# mutt used to chase him. but at age 15 she barely sees them anymore.

No rats here, but my garden pests are a much bigger problem: deer. My 21# mutt used to chase him. but at age 15 she barely sees them anymore.
LOL, that is a big problem, one requiring a big fence......... A few of them could level a small garden in one night...

I had some property in the foothills here I planted some cherry trees & those baby deer went to town on them..:(

I use to have pet bunnies that ran around my 1/4 acres back yard & I had a 3 foot metal fence around it... They would patrol around it every morning checking for any loose stakes...lol THey had no idea I was watching them from the kitchen window..

I let them in once as by broccoli & cabbage were mature & I figured they would just nibble it & eat the weeds, which they did the first couple days... On the third day I went out & they had eaten their weight in cabbage & broc.....lmao A lesson learned..

Where do you live, if I may ask?? I'm in Northern Calif..

My cat is 16 and shits all over my garage. You want it?

If you have to ask somebody if they want "your" cat, then that ISN'T "your" cat. That is a cat that is in your possession (apparently, unfortunately for the cat)

Last edited:
LOL, that is a big problem, one requiring a big fence......... A few of them could level a small garden in one night...

I had some property in the foothills here I planted some cherry trees & those baby deer went to town on them..:(

I use to have pet bunnies that ran around my 1/4 acres back yard & I had a 3 foot metal fence around it... They would patrol around it every morning checking for any loose stakes...lol THey had no idea I was watching them from the kitchen window..

I let them in once as by broccoli & cabbage were mature & I figured they would just nibble it & eat the weeds, which they did the first couple days... On the third day I went out & they had eaten their weight in cabbage & broc.....lmao A lesson learned..

Where do you live, if I may ask?? I'm in Northern Calif..

I'm in the northern Piedmont, NC. I used to have my garden in the back yard, with a simple black nylon fence, but the trees have all grown in and now it's too much shade. Two years ago I started growing in the front yard in an area where I had to take a tree down. The sun is intense there and with the help of drip irrigation my plants did very well. Unfortunately this year the deer have gotten very bold and ate everything, and my HOA does not allow front yard fences. I'm reduced to growing in containers on the deck.

So you are one of those weirdos out there @ night walking around w/ a big bag of cat food.......:palm: LOL

Over the last 15 years or so I have had an outside cat I feed. When I moved to my new place about 6 years I was in the back yard & noticed mice in the backyard & as I feed the birds during the day I figured this was going to be a problem(never had them in the house)...

Did the traps, even bought a rat zapper which worked fairly well but it wasn't till one summer night I heard a noise in the bushes & turned on the light & saw the face of a big white cat(looked to be grinning like that Cheshire cat):idea::idea:.....

I started putting out some food every night & in 5 years I have seen two, one a year ago, the other maybe 3 years ago~& I seen them once each..

I have a good sized garden so that attracts them as well........ I am growing some heirloom tomatoes & not even a nibble on them or any traces of that.:D

I dunno what those other things are you mentioned as we don't have them here but I have not had problems w/ them going after birds as they come @ night as part of their territory patrol & usually they have on a collar-neighbors cats.....

The Sacramento county (which I live in) now has a program they call Barn Cat Adoptions).. Stray cats are fixed & then given out for critter control-extremely effective, gets rid of the stray problem & puts them to work doing what they do best..:)

Good post. You see it like it is. And the cats won't touch your tomatoes. Cats are 99.9% carnivores (meat eaters). If anything goes after your tomatoes, it would probably be possums or raccoons (in some places rabbits)

If you have to ask somebody if they want "your" then that ISN'T "your" cat. That is a cat that is in your possession (apparently, unfortunately for the cat)

Since I adopted him 16 years ago, full of stomach works, and saved him from a short life in the kudzu, I'm not sure why you feel he is unfortunate.

05a718a2f1fe5796e6ecc1f6dae1a71e.jpg

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it would take a lot larger cat (ex. cougar) to keep the deer away, and in that case, the cure would be worse than the problem. You might ty a scarecrow, but it would have to be very realistic-looking. Many years ago, when I lived in a house in the country (upstate New York), we set up a scarecrow to scare away birds that were pecking at our vegetable seeds. It was just a cross with a jacket and a hat on top. When we woke up in the morning, the thing was covered with birds, and one of them sitting on the top, and pecked a hole the size of a quarter, in the hat. lol

No one "owns" a cat....cat's own people. That which you mistakenly call affection....the rubbing up against you, is not an indicator of LOVE...its an indicator of ownership by THE CAT. In actuality they are marking you with their sent glands. Cats are arrogant animals. Have you ever seen a cat fall from a high perch? Instead of acting like an ordinary critter, they get up look around and pretend they preformed that act on purpose.

What's on a cat's mind...primarily? HUMAN PEOPLE ARE ALL RIGHT...every cat should a couple of them to feed, shelter, and protect them. :) Cat's are un-trainable....people are not. See what happens when you are faced with danger...will the cat stand between you and danger like a dog? Hardly....look behind you in the tallest tree around, a tree that you will have to traverse and get the BRAVE cat down after the danger has past. Now if you want an animal that works from ambush against smaller critters...a cat's your back biting pick.

Last edited:
Since I adopted him 16 years ago, full of stomach works, and saved him from a short life in the kudzu, I'm not sure why you feel he is unfortunate.

I thought "unfortunate" because you were expressing the idea that you didn't want him (unless you were just kidding, which is cool)

I'm in the northern Piedmont, NC. I used to have my garden in the back yard, with a simple black nylon fence, but the trees have all grown in and now it's too much shade. Two years ago I started growing in the front yard in an area where I had to take a tree down. The sun is intense there and with the help of drip irrigation my plants did very well. Unfortunately this year the deer have gotten very bold and ate everything, and my HOA does not allow front yard fences. I'm reduced to growing in containers on the deck.

My daughter lived there, in Goldsborogh a few years ago...... I will have that tree problem in a few years as my neighbor behind me, facing west, has planted some trees that will be to tall in a couple years.......

Here is Calif, & thanx to the drought they have been easing up on CCR & HOA's & we can now use the front & back for gardening etc.... Although I still have a traditional lawn, @ some point I will take it out...

Tomatoes, cukes & several other summer plants do well in barrels/containers as long as the deer stay off that deck........

No one "owns" a cat....cat's own people. That which you mistakenly call affection....the rubbing up against you, is not an indicator of LOVE...its an indicator of ownership by THE CAT. In actuality they are marking you with their sent glands. Cats are arrogant animals. Have you ever seen a cat fall from a high perch? Instead of acting like an ordinary critter, they get up look around and pretend they preformed that act on purpose.

What's on a cat's mind...primarily? HUMAN PEOPLE ARE ALL RIGHT...every cat should a couple of them to feed, shelter, and protect them. :) Cat's are un-trainable....people are not. See what happens when you are faced with danger...will the cat stand between you and danger like a dog? Hardly....look behind you in the tallest tree around, a tree that you will have to traverse and get the BRAVE cat down after the danger has past. Now if you want an animal that works from ambush against smaller critters...a cat's your back biting pick.

I love my cats, and YES my cats love me, and I sure don't need any lecture to inform me about it. You call it all whatever you like, however you see it.

Yeah, it would take a lot larger cat (ex. cougar) to keep the deer away, and in that case, the cure would be worse than the problem. You might ty a scarecrow, but it would have to be very realistic-looking. Many years ago, when I lived in a house in the country (upstate New York), we set up a scarecrow to scare away birds that were pecking at our vegetable seeds. It was just a cross with a jacket and a hat on top. When we woke up in the morning, the thing was covered with birds, and one of them sitting on the top, and pecked a hole the size of a quarter, in the hat. lol

I tried the bobble head owl to take care of birds at my mountain cabin that were launching themselves at my large windows. That didn't work either. An air rifle did though.

Then the red squirrels infested my roof, inaccessible by anything larger due to the cathedral ceiling. That cost me over $1000 to have a wildlife expert remove them. Now I use poison blocks in pet-safe boxes- I'm not happy to do that but it's them or me. My neighbor has them too, and they have a habit of chewing the insulation off wires under the hood of his Lexus. Now he has bats too, in his roof, and the same expert quoted him $1600...

Good post. You see it like it is. And the cats won't touch your tomatoes. Cats are 99.9% carnivores (meat eaters). If anything goes after your tomatoes, it would probably be possums or raccoons (in some places rabbits)

None of them here yet, this is suburban sprawl & I am in the center of it but I can walk less than 10 mins & see cows, wide open spaces w/ views from the coastal mountains to the snows of the Sierra Nevada........:D

Raccoons are starting to be a big problem though in the area as some ppl feed them & they feed off pet food etc.......

My daughter lived there, in Goldsborogh a few years ago...... I will have that tree problem in a few years as my neighbor behind me, facing west, has planted some trees that will be to tall in a couple years.......

Here is Calif, & thanx to the drought they have been easing up on CCR & HOA's & we can now use the front & back for gardening etc.... Although I still have a traditional lawn, @ some point I will take it out...

Tomatoes, cukes & several other summer plants do well in barrels/containers as long as the deer stay off that deck........

My deck is 12' off the ground so no deer issues there. I have whiskey barrel sized containers with potting soil and the plants are just barely producing.

I used to be a green thumb when I lived in upstate NY- grew all my vegetables- but here it is a lot more difficult. I should take a course. A friend of mine has his entire front yard planted in edibles- a small city lot.

Back