CES: Kor-fx turns your body into a subwoofer

Cancel 2018. 3

<-- sched 2, MJ sched 1
CES: Kor-fx turns your body into a subwoofer

Sure, you've played Halo: Reach on your Xbox 360, but have you felt it yet? That's the idea behind Kor-fx, a funky audio accessory by developer Immerz. You drape it around your shoulders, allowing a pair of strategically placed speakers to rest — and rumble — on your chest.

The speakers (which plug into a Walkman-sized control box, into which you can plug a game console or a smartphone) send low-frequency vibrations into your chest cavity that — as Immerz puts it — activate "neural pathways that subconsciously monitor vibrations of the chest cavity that naturally occur when speaking, laughing, or crying," giving you "a heightened emotional, sensory response" to the movie you're watching, or the game you're playing.

Sounds like a lot of mumbo-jumbo, but having tried it on the show floor at CES, I can tell you that Kor-fx worked pretty much as advertised — and I think I want a pair.

The best way I can describe Kor-fx, which is slated to go on sale in late March, is as a rumble pack for your body that gives you an uncanny, "you-are-there" feeling.

First, I watched a scene from one of the more recent "Harry Potter" movies, where Harry is sitting in an empty diner. All is quiet, until you hear a nearby train roar past ... and as the Kor-fx speakers rumbled, I could seriously feel that train barreling down the tracks — a sense made all the more impressive given that I was watching the scene on a tiny iPhone display.

Geek that I am, I couldn't resist pulling out my own iPhone to watch the Imperial Walker attack from "The Empire Strikes Back," and again — whoa. When Luke puts his snowspeeder into a steep dive and fires his laser cannons at the AT-AT's legs, I could feel the bolts crashing against the hull like ... well, like I was there.

Another example: the thunderous beats on the "Boom Boom Pow" video from Black Eyed Peas, with the Kor-fx speakers firing off on all cylinders. The effect? Like being in a concert hall and feeling the subwoofers thumping into my chest.

Indeed, the developers at Immerz told me that Kor-fx is "part technology, part psychology," with the device essentially using your chest cavity as a "resonating chamber" — in other words, Kor-fx turns you into a "biological subwoofer."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_techn...merzs-kor-fx-turns-your-body-into-a-subwoofer

gimmick or must buy?

Back