Cheney: "I plan to be an OB/GYN when my term expires"

uscitizen

Villified User
Washington, DC - Dreams do come true! Especially if you're an ex-Vice President looking for a new career!

Vice President Dick Cheney plans to take up the mantle of being an OB/GYN physician as soon as his term expires next January. He also plans a few short-cuts in receiving his Doctorate by taking a home study course while still serving as the nation's VP.

"I'll also pull a few strings too," he quipped to reporters, as he showed them some homestudy books and the anatomically correct life sized female form he had near his desk. "My practice patient," he said, "I like the artificial insemination part best."

http://www.propeller.com/viewstory/2008/02/02/cheney-i-plan-to-be-an-obgyn-when-my-term-expires/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thespoof.com%2Fnews%2Fspoof.cfm%3Fheadline%3Ds3i29777&frame=true

He isn't receiving a Doctorate, he is receiving a medical degree. Physicians basically have fancy Master's Degrees...contrary to popular belief, "real" doctors are actually people with PhDs, not medical doctors.

He should be a proctologist with as much as he has been up George's ass as the puppet master for the last 8 years. He probably knows every structure from the Prostate gland to the ascending colon and appendix. He would make a great asshole doctor.

He isn't receiving a Doctorate, he is receiving a medical degree. Physicians basically have fancy Master's Degrees...contrary to popular belief, "real" doctors are actually people with PhDs, not medical doctors.

You have to go to college before you can even apply for medical school though, right?

Uh, MDs, PhDs, DDSs, etc. are all doctors. WTH is that all about?

An M.D. is a doctorate. Medical School is like a Master's Degree, however Internship as well as Residency is their doctorate and when they receive a license to practice they are teachers as well as just an MD. There is far more to being a doctor than just "a Master's on steroids."

Getting a doctorate and teaching are not mutally inclusive. Many PhD's don't even teach. They do research, write books, etc. Hell, one of the biology professors at my school is an MD. Many can't teach but take up the practice anyway (especially physics PhDs).

Getting a doctorate and teaching are not mutally inclusive. Many PhD's don't even teach. They do research, write books, etc. Hell, one of the biology professors at my school is an MD. Many can't teach but take up the practice anyway (especially physics PhDs).
And not all MD's teach either. Some do research, write books, etc.

And not all MD's teach either. Some do research, write books, etc.

I would say most MD's, DDS's, OD's and so forth, do not teach, but practice their field, which is why Gonzo is touting out teaching as the sign of a true doctorate, because many more PhD's teach than other areas. One thing I will concede gives him a credible argument about "real doctorates," is law degrees, or Juris Doctorates (JD), because society does not treat them--nor do they act as--doctors in their field. Only by achieving certain positions (Judge, "your honor;" court attorney, "councilor;" law professor, "professor" or doctor") do they gain esteem and importance for their credentials.

Also, if Cheney were a liberal Dimocrat VP, he would be talking about wanting to become an abortion doctor instead of an OB/GYN, so at least that's something positive... :cool:

ROTFLMAO

Did any of you experts read this story ?

This is great.

It is a total parody :clink: Kinda like you experts.

We were clear on the spoof thing, dork. ;) It just wasn't as funny as you thought so we talked about something more interesting.

I would say most MD's, DDS's, OD's and so forth, do not teach, but practice their field, which is why Gonzo is touting out teaching as the sign of a true doctorate, because many more PhD's teach than other areas. One thing I will concede gives him a credible argument about "real doctorates," is law degrees, or Juris Doctorates (JD), because society does not treat them--nor do they act as--doctors in their field. Only by achieving certain positions (Judge, "your honor;" court attorney, "councilor;" law professor, "professor" or doctor") do they gain esteem and importance for their credentials.

My basis for the innocent remark that PhDs are "real doctors" is that the word doctor comes from a Greek word (via Latin) that means "teacher", and you can imagine how PhDs and grad students would get sick of people acting like they aren't real doctors when, if anything, they are more doctors than the rest.

My basis for the innocent remark that PhDs are "real doctors" is that the word doctor comes from a Greek word (via Latin) that means "teacher", and you can imagine how PhDs and grad students would get sick of people acting like they aren't real doctors when, if anything, they are more doctors than the rest.
I've always thought they should have used a different word for those who work in medicine.

There are actual Medical Professors who teach in Medical school. What are they SuperDuperDoctrates?

Back