China's white dolphin goes extinct

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
Let the free markets decide.

Dolphins always kind of freaked me out anyway - that show "Flipper" wigged me out when I was a kid:

After 20 million years, China's white dolphin likely extinct

Wednesday August 8, 2007

China's rapid industrialisation has likely made extinct a species of fresh water dolphin that had been on Earth for over 20 million years, a marine biologist said Wednesday.

A team of scientists from China, Japan and the United States failed to find the white dolphin, known as the baiji, during a six-week search of its natural habitat in the Yangtze river late last year.

"This result means the baiji is likely extinct," Wang Ding, who led the survey and is one of the world's leading experts on the species, told AFP.

The dolphin was a victim of devastating pollution, illegal fishing and heavy cargo traffic on the Yangtze, Wang said.

The findings mean the baiji is likely the first mammal to become extinct in more than 50 years. It is the cousin of the bottlenose dolphin, which is also on the critically endangered list.

http://rawstory.com/news/afp/After_20_million_years_China_s_whit_08082007.html

Let the free markets decide.

Dolphins always kind of freaked me out anyway - that show "Flipper" wigged me out when I was a kid:

This reminds me of a Star Trek movie, the funniest one out of the bunch, I think it was Star Trek 4. The extinction of the Humped Back Whale end up threatening the human race in the future. That's not why it was funny of course, the serious message being that there are consequences for everything.

This reminds me of a Star Trek movie, the funniest one out of the bunch, I think it was Star Trek 4. The extinction of the Humped Back Whale end up threatening the human race in the future. That's not why it was funny of course, the serious message being that there are consequences for everything.

Ahh yes, I distinctly remember spock being perplexed by a "ghetto blaster".

Back