Cigar Reviews

BRUTALITOPS

on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
we need someone to step up to compliment captbillys beer reviews. If no one else will, perhaps I shall.

we need someone to step up to compliment captbillys beer reviews. If no one else will, perhaps I shall.

I would loveto see cigar reviews. I know far more about beer, wine and spirits than I do about good cigars.

Maybe Soc will help you. I know he is a serious stogie man.

Opus X review.

These are the creme de le creme of the Artureo Fruentes line of Cigars. Smoking an Opus X corona one first notices the fine construction of this well crafted cigar and that it's covered with a light dusting of flume, a very good sign. The Connecticut shade wrapper is sun grown and deep grained and oil with an almost leather appearance. When you light it you notice the draw is smooth and even and the lit end forms a clean and even burn with a white ash. The aroma is pronounced but not oppressive or excesive. The flavor is full bodied and spicey with hints of tannins, chocolates and a very pleasant nutty aftertaste. I was surprised at how slow this cigar burned and how the flavor stayed consistant all through the smoke with one of the cleanest finishes in any cigar I've ever smoked. You can practically take this down to the nubbins and it still burns and taste clean. I'd rate an Opus at least a 98-99 score. It pairs well with a good quality sour mash bourbon or an aged Scotch, it certainly goes well with a pint of Guiness. This cigar will certainly compete with a Cubano in flavor and quality.

If you can avoid it don't buy an Opus X on line. The prices on-line are badly inflated (about $25/stick). They cost around $15 to $17 at a Tobacco shop.....if you can find them. Tinder Box usually has them.

Last edited:
It's too bad that most Americans haven't enjoyed the world's finest cigar experience. Maybe the embargo will be lifted after Obama's second inauguration.

Anyway,I hope it isn't, because the price would go up if the Yanks pent-up demand sucked the supply up.

Now, to rub it in, here are my thoughts on my current favorite, The Montecristo No. 2.

Rich, powerful flavor with undertones of leather, oak, and pepper.

Faint peppery aftertaste.

Enjoyable with a fine malt whisky.

Dominican, Honduran, and Nicaraguan cigars are 2nd best, at best.

Back