APP - CO2 level breaks 400ppm

Don Quixote

cancer survivor
Contributor
this is the highest level for over 800,000 years to 5,000,000 years, but hey the repugs say no problem...

By Environment Correspondent Deborah Zabarenko
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The amount of climate-warming carbon dioxide in the atmosphere topped 400 parts per million at a key observing station in Hawaii for the first time since measurement began in 1958, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said on Friday.
To many scientists, crossing the 400 ppm threshold, which means that there are 400 molecules of carbon dioxide for every million molecules in the air, is a bit like the Dow Jones Industrial Average rising above 15,000 points.
"It's important mainly as a milestone that marks a steady progress of increasing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere," said James Butler of NOAA's Earth System Research Laboratory.
The threshold has become an important marker in U.N. climate change negotiations, tagged as a dangerous level by most climate scientists.
For many years scientists have said that concentrations need to be kept below, or pushed back to, 350 ppm for countries to meet an international target of keeping the average temperature increase below 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit (2 degrees Celsius) this century.
Dozens of observing stations around the world monitor atmospheric carbon dioxide. But Mauna Loa, a volcanic mountain on the Big Island of Hawaii, is regarded as the benchmark site, NOAA said.
Two instruments at Mauna Loa showed carbon dioxide at 400.03 ppm on Thursday. Certain arctic observing stations exceeded 400 ppm more than a year ago, and the global average of atmospheric carbon dioxide could break the 400 ppm barrier in the next year or so, Butler said by telephone from Boulder, Colorado.
Whether or not that occurs, Earth's atmosphere hasn't had this much carbon dioxide in it for at least 800,000 years, and possibly for as long as 5 million years.
Carbon dioxide, a heat-trapping greenhouse gas, remains in the atmosphere for hundreds of years. It is emitted by fossil-fueled vehicles and coal-fired factories and power plants as well as by natural activities such as breathing.
Carbon dioxide concentrations at Mauna Loa are documented in a graph known as the Keeling Curve, named for Charles Keeling, who began measurements there in 1958, when the level was 317 ppm. Information on the Keeling Curve is available at http://keelingcurve.ucsd.edu.
During the last 800,000 years, the level of atmospheric carbon dioxide fluctuated between 180 ppm and 280 ppm. With the widespread burning of coal and oil during the Industrial Revolution, the concentration of carbon dioxide rose to about 290 ppm by the end of the 19th century, Butler said.
In the 20th century, the rate of increase accelerated, with levels between 370 and 380 ppm by the year 2000. An animated graph that shows the history of atmospheric carbon dioxide is online at http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/history.html .
(Reporting by Deborah Zabarenko; Editing by Ros Krasny and Xavier Briand)

http://news.yahoo.com/carbon-dioxide-level-crosses-milestone-hawaii-032759863.html

That’s why the scaremongers are now called catastrophic anthropomorphic “climate change” alarmists or CACCA for short!!

Mauna Loa hits 400 PPM of CO2, alarmists wail and gnash teeth, Earth survives

Posted on May 10, 2013 by Anthony Watts

Source: http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/weekly.html
Al Gore calls for a day of prayer and reflection, and bothering your neighbor:

So please, take this day and the milestone it represents to reflect on the fragility of our civilization and and the planetary ecosystem on which it depends. Rededicate yourself to the task of saving our future. Talk to your neighbors, call your legislator, let your voice be heard. We must take immediate action to solve this crisis. Not tomorrow, not next week, not next year. Now.

Scientific American laments the plants

This measurement is just the hourly average of CO2 levels high in the Hawaiian sky, but this family’s figures carry more weight than those made at other stations in the world as they have faithfully kept the longest record of atmospheric CO2. Arctic weather stations also hit the hourly 400 ppm mark last spring and this one. Regardless, the hourly levels at Mauna Loa will soon drop as spring kicks in across the northern hemisphere, trees budding forth an army of leaves hungrily sucking CO2 out of the sky.

In the coming year, Scientific American will run an occasional series, “400 ppm,” to examine what this invisible line in the sky means for the global climate, the planet and all the living things on it, including human civilization.

Sorry, we already beat you to it when it comes to summing up what it means:

Since the world hasn’t ended (just like what happened with Y2K) we can now go forward from here.
T-shirts saying “I survived 400 PPM” will be made available if there’s enough interest in comments.

That’s why the scaremongers are now called catastrophic anthropomorphic “climate change” alarmists or CACCA for short!!

Mauna Loa hits 400 PPM of CO2, alarmists wail and gnash teeth, Earth survives

Posted on May 10, 2013 by Anthony Watts

Source: http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/weekly.html
Al Gore calls for a day of prayer and reflection, and bothering your neighbor:
So please, take this day and the milestone it represents to reflect on the fragility of our civilization and and the planetary ecosystem on which it depends. Rededicate yourself to the task of saving our future. Talk to your neighbors, call your legislator, let your voice be heard. We must take immediate action to solve this crisis. Not tomorrow, not next week, not next year. Now.

Scientific American laments the plants

This measurement is just the hourly average of CO2 levels high in the Hawaiian sky, but this family’s figures carry more weight than those made at other stations in the world as they have faithfully kept the longest record of atmospheric CO2. Arctic weather stations also hit the hourly 400 ppm mark last spring and this one. Regardless, the hourly levels at Mauna Loa will soon drop as spring kicks in across the northern hemisphere, trees budding forth an army of leaves hungrily sucking CO2 out of the sky.

In the coming year, Scientific American will run an occasional series, “400 ppm,” to examine what this invisible line in the sky means for the global climate, the planet and all the living things on it, including human civilization.

Sorry, we already beat you to it when it comes to summing up what it means:

Since the world hasn’t ended (just like what happened with Y2K) we can now go forward from here.
T-shirts saying “I survived 400 PPM” will be made available if there’s enough interest in comments.

it is not the survival of earth that is in question, nor even mankind

the sea level will rise and weather will become more violent and people will die, but there are over 7,000,000,000 people on this world and warmer weather and wilder weather just means that fewer of the marginal will survive

some species will adapt and survive and others will die out

however, we depend on various ocean borne micro species that provide food for other ocean species and oxygen for us to breath (far more than land plants)

the balance of CO2 in our atmosphere has varied over the millennia, but it is part of what permits higher animals to survive as they exist now...

my wife and i are 68 and not likely to be effected by the rise in CO2, but the younger of us will...

oh well

Why do you guys scoff at everything regarding this? I mean, I keep a degree of healthy skepticism... but I'm not fucking Nero fiddling while Rome potentially burns either....which is exactly what you guys remind me of.

What does concern me a great deal is fresh water...warming does not help, but our consumption and waste is gonna deplete two main sources within the next 25 years...my kids and grandkids are going to be in trouble.

Why do you guys scoff at everything regarding this? I mean, I keep a degree of healthy skepticism... but I'm not fucking Nero fiddling while Rome potentially burns either....which is exactly what you guys remind me of.

What does concern me a great deal is fresh water...warming does not help, but our consumption and waste is gonna deplete two main sources within the next 25 years...my kids and grandkids are going to be in trouble.

as will our children and grandchildren and great grandchildren - change is happening and we are doing nothing to prevent it

el nino and la nina happen - super storms happen - it is just that they are happening more often - so called 100 year storms are happening every few years instead of around 100 year intervals as are droughts

the outlook appears to be warmer summers and colder winters

but hey, i'm all right jack so why worry

it is not the survival of earth that is in question, nor even mankind

the sea level will rise and weather will become more violent and people will die, but there are over 7,000,000,000 people on this world and warmer weather and wilder weather just means that fewer of the marginal will survive

some species will adapt and survive and others will die out

however, we depend on various ocean borne micro species that provide food for other ocean species and oxygen for us to breath (far more than land plants)

the balance of CO2 in our atmosphere has varied over the millennia, but it is part of what permits higher animals to survive as they exist now...

my wife and i are 68 and not likely to be effected by the rise in CO2, but the younger of us will...

oh well

There hasn't been a rise in global mean temperature for over 15 years now, yet CO2 is still rising!! That is the real 'inconvenient truth' that Al Gore and the IPCC chooses to ignore.

There hasn't been a rise in global mean temperature for over 15 years now, yet CO2 is still rising!! That is the real 'inconvenient truth' that Al Gore and the IPCC chooses to ignore.

are you ignoring the bout of unusual set of storms and droughts of the last year...especially the storms that hit the new england area along with the storm surge that screwed new jersey and new york and the combination of drought and floods in the midwest and record high temperatures

our midwest has had floods for decades in some places to the point where fema will no longer issue flood insurance for some areas and has offered to pay people to relocate from flood plains where dikes and levies have failed too often

There is a reason why they are called flood plains!!

our midwest has had floods for decades in some places to the point where fema will no longer issue flood insurance for some areas and has offered to pay people to relocate from flood plains where dikes and levies have failed too often

why on earth should the federal government pay people not to live somewhere only an idiot would live......

Back