Coaches: Tebow is the difference

Topspin

Verified User
Coaches: Tebow is the difference
By Ivan Maisel
ESPN.com

The four Southeastern Conference coaches ESPN.com surveyed to analyze the league championship game Saturday between No. 1 Florida and No. 2 Alabama have one thing in common: All four went 0-2 against the Gators and the Crimson Tide this season.

[+] EnlargeDon McPeak/US Presswire
If there was any team that knew Tim Tebow, it was Dan Mullen's Mississippi State squad.
They have one other thing in common, that is, with the fans and the media: They didn't stop talking about Gators senior quarterback Tim Tebow. But on that topic, the coaches' mileage did vary.

There was the conventional stance of Tennessee head coach Lane Kiffin, who said, "If it wasn't for Tebow, it's easy. Alabama wins the game."

There lies the conundrum of defending against Florida. The coaches also said the key to stopping the Gators' offense is to put the ball in Tebow's hands. Well, not in so many words. Let them explain.

Tebow will make plays, as the saying goes. But he doesn't make big plays.

"They don't have the quick-strike capability they had with [Percy] Harvin and [Louis] Murphy," South Carolina defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson said, referring to the star wideouts of the 2008 team. "The teams that played them early didn't realize it. They've got real good receivers, but not like Harvin and Murphy. They are a little more blue-collar."

Mississippi State tried to make Tebow and the Gators' offense execute long drives. The strategy of head coach Dan Mullen, Tebow's offensive coordinator for the quarterback's first three seasons, worked well. Florida scored only two offensive touchdowns, only one of which came on a drive that began in Florida territory.

"We really encouraged them to run Tim Tebow," Mullen said. "One thing with Tim is he will wear you down but he will not beat you with the big play. They moved the ball on us, but we stopped them in the red zone."

How They Fared ...

• Oct. 3: Alabama 38, Kentucky 20
• Oct. 17: Alabama 20, So. Carolina 6
• Oct. 24: Alabama 12, Tennessee 10
• Nov. 14: Alabama 31, Mississippi St. 3
• Sept. 19: Florida 23, Tennessee 13
• Sept. 26: Florida 41, Kentucky 7
• Oct. 24: Florida 29, Mississippi St. 19
• Nov. 14: Florida 24, South Carolina 14

Tebow has rushed for 796 yards on 193 carries this season. But he has only six rushes of more than 20 yards. His rushing totals are skewed by sacks, which is another issue. Florida has allowed 28 sacks, 10th in the SEC.

Kentucky head coach Rich Brooks thinks Tebow took a step back after the Wildcats' 41-7 loss to the Gators on Sept. 26. Kentucky defensive end Taylor Wyndham's full-speed sack of Tebow ended in a concussion for the quarterback.

"He isn't doing it like he was doing it earlier," Brooks said. "He's been sacked a whole bunch of times. They are one of the worst teams in terms of protecting. He looks a little indecisive in the passing game. ... He goes away from the first read and gets indecisive and starts running around and gets sacked."

Unless he doesn't. The problem with putting the ball in Tebow's hands is that you're putting the ball in Tebow's hands. No one is better at converting third downs. Kiffin summed up a defense's dilemma well.

"People are coming free versus Florida," Kiffin said. "But Tebow is so hard to tackle."

If stopping the Florida offense means taking away the big play, stopping Alabama is the polar opposite.

"With Florida, let's see you execute 14 plays," Mullen said. "That's what Alabama wants to do. You want to force Alabama to take shots."

Alas, the Crimson Tide cruised to a 31-3 victory over the Bulldogs.

"We wanted to force them into making big plays," Mullen said. "They made four of them."

Greg McElroy threw touchdown passes of 45 and 48 yards in that game, while tailback Mark Ingram ran 70 yards for a fourth-quarter touchdown. Ingram took over the fourth quarter against South Carolina as well, getting all 68 rushing yards on the final touchdown drive to finish with a career-high 246 yards in a 20-6 victory.

[+] EnlargeMarvin Gentry/US Presswire
Can quarterback Greg McElroy make enough plays for Alabama?
"A lot of our game plan was predicated on getting to the quarterback," Johnson said. "I got greedy and allowed Ingram to break out of the box. ... The quarterback is a very limited kid. He's had some good drives. You can't rattle him mentally. Our pressure package was totally focusing on making that quarterback make mistakes."

Johnson put it simply: "If Alabama can run the ball, they'll beat Florida."

That is not easy to do. The Gators allow 89.9 rushing yards per game, second in the SEC to Alabama (77.1). The coaches admire both defenses. To a man, they raved about the speed and athleticism of the Gators, especially in the secondary. None would venture a guess at the effect of the suspension of defensive end Carlos Dunlap. Brooks said it's hard to gauge the inner dynamics of a team.

"They could rally and say, 'We're not a one-man team,'" Brooks said. "Or it could be a major distraction, this close to the biggest game of the year."

The Alabama defense drew admiration for head coach Nick Saban's ability to take very talented players and concoct a scheme to confound the opposing quarterback.

"They are so schematically sound," Kiffin said. "If you do start to beat them, Nick and Kirby [Smart, the defensive coordinator] are so good. They adjust. They are an NFL staff. NFL offenses will expose you, but can you adjust?"

Kiffin called Saban's Crimson Tide "the best-coached team in the country. They have few penalties. They allow few sacks. They're very disciplined. They don't give up big plays."

And yet, the Crimson Tide don't have a quarterback who has started 22 consecutive victories, has won a national championship and a Heisman, and is 34-5 overall as a starter. Alabama doesn't have Tebow.

"The biggest difference, when Florida has the ball, when you get to the big game, is experience at the quarterback position when the game is on the line," Mullen said. "Not that Alabama can't do it. The guy did it last week. It's the experience. Maybe he'll do it in the big game. Tebow plays his best in the biggest games."

Its gonna be one helluva game.

The two defenses are what I am looking forward to seeing.

Its gonna be one helluva game.

The two defenses are what I am looking forward to seeing.

the article is pretty insitefull

I'd spy Mclain (25 right) on Tebow's every running play.

Nobody has stop Tim's up the middle, but nobody else has 25 either.

you get your QB to just be himself I think you win. Fl will NOT stop both your backs.

you get your QB to just be himself I think you win. Fl will NOT stop both your backs.

Up the middle Tebow has to get around Mt Cody, and then has to deal with McClain.

Our defense will give FL trouble, thats for sure. The trick will be for McElroy to take what he is given and not try to force throws.

Up the middle Tebow has to get around Mt Cody, and then has to deal with McClain.

Our defense will give FL trouble, thats for sure. The trick will be for McElroy to take what he is given and not try to force throws.

Is Mclain a senior I'd love to have him on the Saints but doubt he'll be there late first round.

Is Mclain a senior I'd love to have him on the Saints but doubt he'll be there late first round.

Nope, the man is a junior. So he will be back for another year as Bama's defensive QB.

Better senior year means more pay

Or less
1. serious injury
2. coaching change, how long has Saban stayed in 1 place
3. decline of team around you, long shot but not much room to go up from the top rush d in the nation
4. I've seen way to much of this kid already.:clink:

Or less
1. serious injury
2. coaching change, how long has Saban stayed in 1 place
3. decline of team around you, long shot but not much room to go up from the top rush d in the nation
4. I've seen way to much of this kid already.:clink:

There is always a chance of serious injury. That shouldn't be a reason anyone makes the choice.

Saban will be around for another year at least. Where would he go? From LSU he went to the pros, thinking that was a step up. It wasn't a good fit for him, so he came back to college ball. If he is winning, there is no better place than Bama.

We will lose some defensive starters, but it won't be terrible. Cody and Arenas are the two we will miss most. Cory Reamer leaves, but Donte Hightower will be back, so we come out ahead there.

You'll be seeing this kid play on sundays for a several years, so get used to him now.

Besides, you already have a Bama defender on the Saint's. Roman Harper, the starting safety is a bama boy.

I think Auborn showed Florida how to beat Bama. The Miss St coach is right. Force Bama to make big plays. Stack the line and gang tackle Ingrahm. Get pressure on Bama's QB. If Ingrahm cant establish the run then Bama's QB needs to get the ball off fast to the TE or Jones. If Bama can establish the run and get 100 yards outa Ingrahm, it's gonna be a long day for Florida.

Here's what should scare Bama's fans. Florida is gonna come out guns a blazing playing up tempo and throwing the ball trying to get a quick lead over Bama. If they can get two TDs up like Auborn....Turn out the lights the parties over. If the score is close at half time, 3 pts or less. Bama will win.

I think Auborn showed Florida how to beat Bama. The Miss St coach is right. Force Bama to make big plays. Stack the line and gang tackle Ingrahm. Get pressure on Bama's QB. If Ingrahm cant establish the run then Bama's QB needs to get the ball off fast to the TE or Jones. If Bama can establish the run and get 100 yards outa Ingrahm, it's gonna be a long day for Florida.

Here's what should scare Bama's fans. Florida is gonna come out guns a blazing playing up tempo and throwing the ball trying to get a quick lead over Bama. If they can get two TDs up like Auborn....Turn out the lights the parties over. If the score is close at half time, 3 pts or less. Bama will win.

The Iron Bowl is always a tough game. And they came out blazing with wild plays, because they were expected to lose. Tebow's best have always been quick passes instead of long shots. He beat us last year with quick short throws.

MS State lost to FL by a score of 29-19. They lost to Bama by a score of 31-3. Seems the MS State coach's game plan didn't amount to much.
We'll see. Having a good game plan is one thing. Executing it is another. If Florida can stop Ingrahm then they should be Bama. If Florida gets off to a quick lead then Bama is in serious trouble as Saban does not do well at come from behind ball.

Back