COBRA

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
Y’all ever dealt with COBRA insurance? I’m looking into dealing with it for someone, and man, COBRA insurance is a rip off.

It’s super expensive; you can only have it for a limited time (I heard, like 18 months), and if you’re ever late on a payment, you get kicked off the policy no questions asked.

One good thing about COBRA, is that you can put someone with pre-existing health problems on it, without the insurance company denying them, but then the whole system is set up to kick that person off COBRA as soon as possible, and back into the private insurance market….. Where someone with pre-existing conditions is going to get have a hell of a time getting coverage.

What a gyp.

That's what you get when you connect insurance to the job. Attempting to change jobs involves decisions about "pre-existing conditions". Thank you Unions for mucking it up, even with good intentions.

That's what you get when you connect insurance to the job. Attempting to change jobs involves decisions about "pre-existing conditions". Thank you Unions for mucking it up, even with good intentions.

I'm not exactly sure how this is unions' fault.

If I tried to get health insurance from a non-unionized, "free market" insurance company, for someone with pre-existing conditions, I think my chances of success are going to be nil to none.

Whatever COBRA's flaws are, they allow someone with pre-existing conditions, to remain on the insurance policy. And I'm quite sure that the unions didn't have anything to do with the law making it so easy to get kicked off of COBRA. I'm quite sure, that is directly tied to profit and business interests.

In other words, I'm pretty much ready for the French or Australian version of public universal healthcare.

I'm not exactly sure how this is unions' fault.

If I tried to get health insurance from a non-unionized, "free market" insurance company, for someone with pre-existing conditions, I think my chances of success are going to be nil to none.

Whatever COBRA's flaws are, they allow someone with pre-existing conditions, to remain on the insurance policy. And I'm quite sure that the unions didn't have anything to do with the law making it so easy to get kicked off of COBRA. I'm quite sure, that is directly tied to profit and business interests.

In other words, I'm pretty much ready for the French or Australian version of public universal healthcare.
I wish they had secured matching funds for outside insurance so that when you changed jobs your insurance remained. It's really just something I notice. If I were a company it would be a good way to ensure some people would be employees for life, even if they could get paid better elsewhere...

In todays "mobile workforce" we need the ability to carry insurance from employer to employer in a much more painless method.

btw unions seem to have caused insurance companies to waive the pre-existing conditions restriction for new employees esp in union jobs.

We know you feel about unions about like I do about Bush Damo.

I wish they had secured matching funds for outside insurance so that when you changed jobs your insurance remained. It's really just something I notice. If I were a company it would be a good way to ensure some people would be employees for life, even if they could get paid better elsewhere...

Portable insurance, that you can't get kicked off of, is called publically financed single payer insurance. As long as the profit motive is involved, business and insurance interests will have every motivation to keep people with health problems off their policies.

Well, I guess I'll have to look into those Bush "health savings accounts" now. :)

Well, I guess I'll have to look into those Bush "health savings accounts" now.
//

Werent those supposed to fix everything ?

I have to say the pre-existing conditions clauses are a mess. If there is one thing that an incoming radical populist should do with one fell swoop is out law those all together.

In todays "mobile workforce" we need the ability to carry insurance from employer to employer in a much more painless method.

btw unions seem to have caused insurance companies to waive the pre-existing conditions restriction for new employees esp in union jobs.

We know you feel about unions about like I do about Bush Damo.
How do I feel about Unions?

I think that they were instrumental, in the past, in creating a large part of good things in the US. So, tell me all about how I "feel" about Unions.

Portable insurance, that you can't get kicked off of, is called publically financed single payer insurance. As long as the profit motive is involved, business and insurance interests will have every motivation to keep people with health problems off their policies.

Well, I guess I'll have to look into those Bush "health savings accounts" now. :)
Rubbish, what I described would not be publicly funded or single payer. Either you didn't read or are purposefully being disingenuous. (Couldn't imagine... :rolleyes:)

How do I feel about Unions?

I think that they were instrumental, in the past, in creating a large part of good things in the US. So, tell me all about how I "feel" about Unions.

I would have to round up some of your old posts, but it isn't good.

I would have to round up some of your old posts, but it isn't good.
Round away.

The reality is I think unions, I have stated this previously, are a part of a successful market system. I do think that many have overstayed their usefulness and thus make stupid choices, but that doesn't change past contributions.

I do believe that the union at my work was rejected because many feel as I do.

well your trying to blame unions with the pre-existing condition thing was a bit of a clue Damo.
I think they thought they were doing good, but wound up making something that caused problems. They tried to fix it later by forcing some companies to pay even more for insurance that covered pre-existing conditions, but that made it more expensive. (Adding to the cost of health coverage). Had they negotiated matching funds and extra cash in the paycheck for insurance, that extra cost would have been unnecessary as there would be no "pre-existing" condition. You would get your health insurance and keep it if such a condition existed only changing when it was sage to do so.

Your "clue" was simply misread because you believed you "know" my opinion. It turns out you are wrong about how I "feel" or what I "think" in this case.

Take your assumption, stuff it where it belongs, then come back and start over before you embarrass yourself.

Back