congrats on the new rank threedee

what does his new rank imply?
It means that he's no longer an Airman. SSgt is the lowest level of Non Commissioned Officer (E-5) in the US Air Force. It means that 3D has demonstrated enough technical proficiency to be assigned supervisors responsibilities in his work center. In the Air Force Staff Sargent is one grade lower then in the Army or Marines. It is really a step to groom 3D to be a Technical Sargent. Probably within the next six months he will need to attend leadership school. After that, if 3D is competitive enough on his exams, has at least an associates degree and again shows demonstrated technical ability, in about 2 to 4 more years he'll be promoted to Tech Sargent and will be responsible for a squadron of Airman, possibly a platoon. It depends on the situation. If he's full time he'll make about 30 kpy with full benies. Considerably less if he's reserve or guard.

With additional tech training and/or a bachelors degree, between his 8th and 15th year of service 3D could raise to the rank of Master Sargent. This is the most significant promotion for an enlisted rank as you become a senior NCO with more management and leadership roles and is evaluated for these more then for his technical skills. A Master Sgt or "Shirt" is responsible for a platoon of Air Men. It's quite competative and there's no guarantee he'll achieve this rank. If he does, he'll make around 40 to 45 kpy depending on years of service and if he's assigned to a combat zone, which pays more.

i just noticed there are at least two other threads on 3d's new rank...i didn't realize he had told everyone yet, i thought he just changed his name and only those who knew what it meant were on the "in"

Thanks, Yurt!! :clink:

Mott was on a roll until he got to MSgt. "Shirt" is the nickname for the 1st Sgt., which can be either a MSgt, SMSgt, or CMSgt.

Anyway, I'm Guard, so my responsibilities will be considerably less. I will probably only supervise like one person. Its hard to say when the opportunity to make Tech will come, but if I play my cards right, I will qualify for a commission before I get a shot at Tech.

Last edited:
Back