Critics Call Delaware a Tax Haven

Whomever

uscitizen alternate login
Critics Call Delaware a Tax Haven

LYNNLEY BROWNING
Published: May 29, 2009

Wall Street, Sand Hill Road, LaSalle Street: Some corporate addresses scream money. Then there is North Orange Street, which whispers it.

North Orange, a ho-hum thoroughfare in Wilmington, Del., is, on paper, home to more than 6,500 companies. Many of them are empty shells. They make nothing and sometimes employ just a lone clerk. But all are there for the same reason: to help corporations avoid paying taxes in other states.

The Obama administration has riled corporate America by cracking down on secretive offshore tax havens. But now a big onshore refuge — Delaware — is drawing scrutiny, too.

Squeezed by hard times, states are pushing to collect taxes that corporations are avoiding through Delaware shell companies. Maryland has reclaimed $267 million in such taxes, including interest and penalties, and has assessed an additional $143 million.

About 20 states have adopted laws that would effectively keep companies from using the decades-old tax loopholes in Delaware. At stake are tens of billions of dollars in annual tax receipts, funds that states say they need during this recession.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/30/business/30delaware.html?_r=1&partner=MYWAY&ei=5065

Good on them. Tax havens need to be penalized like hell, and corporations that even think about utilizing such scumbag places should be fined until they go out of business.

Corporations doing business in the USA should pay their share of taxes owed and not try to weasel out of them with bogus businesses and such.

Corporations doing business in the USA should pay their share of taxes owed and not try to weasel out of them with bogus businesses and such.

You don't owe taxes unless there is a specific law that can't be avoided. No one owes anyone anything, ever. There is no such thing as paying your "fair share."

Why are corporations even able to avoid taxes by switching residence? Shouldn't they just pay that states taxes on the income they earn in that state, regardless or where they exist on paper?

Why are corporations even able to avoid taxes by switching residence? Shouldn't they just pay that states taxes on the income they earn in that state, regardless or where they exist on paper?

You mean sales tax on internet purchases?
It is along your same line of reasoning.

You mean sales tax on internet purchases?
It is along your same line of reasoning.

I read a couple of weeks ago that the present situation is about to change and that some if not most or all states now will require sales tax to be paid by their residents purchasing items on the 'net. Texas is going in that direction for sure. There goes that advantage!

I read a couple of weeks ago that the present situation is about to change and that some if not most or all states now will require sales tax to be paid by their residents purchasing items on the 'net. Texas is going in that direction for sure. There goes that advantage!

any state will do whatever it feels is in its best interests to fill their coffers......all with their residents money of course.

any state will do whatever it feels is in its best interests to fill their coffers......all with their residents money of course.

We have a city and county sales tax added to the state tax. I don't know what the status will be of those. We should be relatively immune to the city tax as we live outside the city limits. The county tax is relatively recent, just started showing up on our electricity bill. Grrrrr!

It's not fair for everyone else for internet sales to not get taxed.

Why? The internet sales don't take place physically in the city/state. This then becomes a consumer tax (which I suppose all sales taxes are anyway) but nothing involves the city or state in any way.

Thorn, do you honestly not see how this arrangement can be unfair to physical distributors? Why should internet distributors get a free ride?

The internet sales don't take place physically in the city/state.

The sale does take place in the state. On the consumers computer.

This then becomes a consumer tax (which I suppose all sales taxes are anyway) but nothing involves the city or state in any way.

One of their consumers bought something in their city. It's unfair for a physical distributor in the city if they have to compete with the tax-free Wal-Mart two feet away that gets a free ride because the sale occurred electronically.

Fuck "fair."

Actually, I doubt most sincerely that the state is concerned about the local vendors, but rather wants to recoup whatever it may have not collected by people buying out of state over the internet. Call me cynical, but ...

Fuck "fair."

I like the sound of that.

Do you have to wait ages, standing in line for the best ride, or can you get one of those quick pass things so that you go to the front of the queue and ride everything in a matter of hours?

I like the sound of that.

Do you have to wait ages, standing in line for the best ride, or can you get one of those quick pass things so that you go to the front of the queue and ride everything in a matter of hours?
The fast passes at a f*ck fair are usually based on the kind of car you drive.

Back