Customers get to screw me

tinfoil

Banned
LOL

I follow all the laws and get signed contracts, keep current with insurance, bonding, and all the state requirements. My only recourse in collecting deliquent accounts is to file a lien against the property. Now you would think that there would be no way someone could file bankruptcy, keep their home, but escape having to pay for the debt which by law has the property as the only recourse.

Does anyone think this is fair?

BTW, it's a $2050 bill we're talking about.

My business spirit is broken.

I don't mind risking not getting paid. But I'll be damned if I'm going to pay another dollar to any state for the right to get screwed.

NmF3I.png

umYOl.png

kQgk9.png

LOL

I follow all the laws and get signed contracts, keep current with insurance, bonding, and all the state requirements. My only recourse in collecting deliquent accounts is to file a lien against the property. Now you would think that there would be no way someone could file bankruptcy, keep their home, but escape having to pay for the debt which by law has the property as the only recourse.

I don't mind risking not getting paid. But I'll be damned if I'm going to pay another dollar to any state for the right to get screwed.

Find someone who is not like you, blame them, then shoot them. It's the American way.

LOL bad karma for this:
The back story on the job. They had a child on the way and needed to have the 800 sqft of bullshit material custom milled and used as flooring, sanded and finished along with a new staircase bulit. (Sound like a shitty human thing to do? Remodel a home? You must be an idiot.)

Not only that, they needed a few months to come up with all of the money.
No problem. Interest free financing. Why not? I needed the work. Free market response to adverse market conditions (liberal PDX? NO WAY !!)
90 days passes and then another 45 before I ask for payment. I know, I'm fucking evil. Expecting to be able to collect the income for that week I worked 70 hours in july on the 4th.
What's the response? We're filing bankruptcy.

LOL bad karma for this:
The back story on the job. They had a child on the way and needed to have the 800 sqft of bullshit material custom milled and used as flooring, sanded and finished along with a new staircase bulit. (Sound like a shitty human thing to do? Remodel a home? You must be an idiot.)

No problem. Interest free financing. Why not? I needed the work. Free market response to adverse market conditions (liberal PDX? NO WAY !!)
90 days passes and then another 45 before I ask for payment. I know, I'm fucking evil. Expecting to be able to collect the income for that week I worked 70 hours in july on the 4th.

Everything is political. I agree.

LOL

The proper thing to do is be thankful it is not you who is filing bankruptcy. Besides, everything happens for a reason. For example, if you didn't work those days you might have been driving and had a bad car accident.

Years ago, I had a country home for sale. The buyer wanted the tenants out before he signed for the home so I paid the tenants to leave because they had a lease. Then the buyer said he wasn't going to buy the house because he lost his job and didn't want to take out a mortgage. The house sold two months later for almost 10% more than his offer.

One never knows.

Last job I didn't get paid for; huge waterfront home, I let the contractor talk me down to half my asking price because I wanted the publicity and it was in my home town. I figured I would make some of it up on travel time. I still should have made decent money since my initial price was very high. The scumbag builder decided not to pay me the last 20%, due after install. In this state I have nothing but a lien or small claims court. Both have been dismal waste of time previously.
I told the owner the builder didn't pay, and I wouldn't be honoring the 20 year warrenty on the finnish (wrought iron fencing on the ocean). He shrugged and shut the door. People suck. It took me all summer to do that job, and the only profit I would have made was in the last payment since I marked it down so far.

LOL bad karma for this:

Well my only advise to you is to remember that in god we trust but all others pay cash!

I've been in the contracting game before. Extending credit to anyone is a risky proposition. As my father says "Never loan more then you can afford to lose.". The real problem is that in bankruptcy settlements vendors/contractors are around the last to get paid if at all. Stockholders get screwed even worse when it's a corporate bankruptcy. It's the institutional debtors (i.e. banks) who usually end up with most of the settlement money (assuming there is any).

I know when I was working on a contract basis that I was very particular about who I would contract with and I did my due diligence and made sure they were bonded in some manner. It was real easy to get screwed out of a week or two pay (or more) cause some project ran out of money and they would try to con you into staying on-board (the lies I've heard).

So I know it's unpleasant to hear but the truth is, don't give a customer more credit then you can afford to lose cause even rich ones can go bankrupt. That and never trust anyone. When it comes to money they will all lie to screw you and never fall for sob stories. I told people with sob stories, politely "When you're ready I'll be here to help.". I had one job that I contracted that I had them place the entire term of the contracts (one year) salary and bonuses into an escrow account so that I got paid no matter what.

Cause I play for pay only. If I want to do charity work, I'll call them.

On the up side, you can write the loss off on your taxes as a business loss and you can learn a lesson about financial risk management (i.e. trust no one!).

Well my only advise to you is to remember that in god we trust but all others pay cash!

I've been in the contracting game before. Extending credit to anyone is a risky proposition. As my father says "Never loan more then you can afford to lose.". The real problem is that in bankruptcy settlements vendors/contractors are around the last to get paid if at all. Stockholders get screwed even worse when it's a corporate bankruptcy. It's the institutional debtors (i.e. banks) who usually end up with most of the settlement money (assuming there is any).

I know when I was working on a contract basis that I was very particular about who I would contract with and I did my due diligence and made sure they were bonded in some manner. It was real easy to get screwed out of a week or two pay (or more) cause some project ran out of money and they would try to con you into staying on-board (the lies I've heard).

So I know it's unpleasant to hear but the truth is, don't give a customer more credit then you can afford to lose cause even rich ones can go bankrupt. That and never trust anyone. When it comes to money they will all lie to screw you and never fall for sob stories. I told people with sob stories, politely "When you're ready I'll be here to help.". I had one job that I contracted that I had them place the entire term of the contracts (one year) salary and bonuses into an escrow account so that I got paid no matter what.

Cause I play for pay only. If I want to do charity work, I'll call them.

On the up side, you can write the loss off on your taxes as a business loss and you can learn a lesson about financial risk management (i.e. trust no one!).

Bankruptcy is always a posible cost of doing business with someone in our system. If they need credit, they should go to a bank. If they're asking you for credit, shits bad and you should get the hell out of dodge.

Wow branching out from the garage lawnmower repair. If karma has any play you'll get stiffed another 100k.

Yes, Stirfry, you are receiving the best business tips that the leftist mind has to offer. Just fucking pretend that everything is peachy, and ignore reality. :D

Back