D-Day

cancel2 2022

Canceled
90% of these soldiers on the first boats to hit the beaches didn’t live to see the end of the day...look at those faces...some of them never lived to see their 18th Birthday...never voted...never loved a woman...or owned a home...they paid the ultimate price for your freedom...you live your life the way you do because of them....think of that...

73301243_10156224586941853_5651911330693644288_n.jpg

Reminds me of listening to someone say that so much of what is being destroyed now would take hundreds of years to rebuild, and likely would not be.

The Modern Morons cant build to save their lives, and have no respect for the builders, all they know is how to burn civilization down.

90% of these soldiers on the first boats to hit the beaches didn’t live to see the end of the day...look at those faces...some of them never lived to see their 18th Birthday...never voted...never loved a woman...or owned a home...they paid the ultimate price for your freedom...you live your life the way you do because of them....think of that...

73301243_10156224586941853_5651911330693644288_n.jpg

Depends on which beach they landed at. On Utah, casualties were next to zero and the troops moved ashore almost unimpeded. While casualties were heavy on Omaha, they were nowhere near 90%.

Depends on which beach they landed at. On Utah, casualties were next to zero and the troops moved ashore almost unimpeded. While casualties were heavy on Omaha, they were nowhere near 90%.

I travelled all up and down those beaches with my son's a few years back. We walked a fair way along Omaha Beach to Pointe du Hoc. I believe the figure of 90% is fairly close for the first waves.

The Canadians also suffered very high losses on Juno Beach as well in the first waves, the French even named a road in Rouen the Canadian Way in recognition of their sacrifice and bravery.

https://armyhistory.org/rudders-ran...on-in-the-early-morning-hours-of-6-june-1944/

Last edited:
no sacrifice is greater during war than what those brave soldiers faced. they knew they would face entrenched machine gun fire, that many would not make it even to shore, but to defeat the nazis, to protect our country, to give freedom back to our allies in europe, they were willing to die for that noble cause. god bless those brave soldiers. and what did we waste soldiers' lives on since- vietnam, iraq, afghanistan. how sickening.

I travelled all up and down those beaches with my son's a few years back. We walked a fair way along Omaha Beach to Pointe du Hoc. I believe the figure of 90% is fairly close for the first waves.

The Canadians also suffered very high losses on Juno Beach as well in the first waves, the French even named a road in Rouen the Canadian Way in recognition of their sacrifice and bravery.

https://armyhistory.org/rudders-ran...on-in-the-early-morning-hours-of-6-june-1944/

Not even close. The 1st and 29th infantry divisions landed on Omaha that day supported by a large number of smaller units. Total casualties for the 1st amounted to 1346 killed, wounded, and missing. Dead amounted to just 107 men. The 29th suffered 321 killed with total casualties of 1272.
One regiment of each division landed in the first wave (the 16th and 116th respectively). The total number of men in a US infantry regiment is 3257 men. As you can see, the total casualties on Omaha for those two divisions that made up the bulk of the troops landing doesn't amount to anywhere close to 90% of the strength of the two regiments that landed in the first wave.

See:

639452.jpg

Ok, not quite 90% but high all the same. At Omaha Beach, the 116th RCT (Regimental Combat Team) from the 29th Infantry Division landed on Omaha beach. Company A of this unit landed first, and after 15 minutes of combat, the casualty rate was estimated to be as high as 66%. This was known as the 'suicide wave' and was the one depicted in Saving Private Ryan.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...n-says-d-day-omaha-beach-suicide-wave-veteran

As the troops waded ashore, there was little fire at first—mainly because the German gun positions did not aim out to sea but were set to enfilade the coastline. As the Canadian soldiers worked their way through the obstacles and came into the enfilading killing zones, the first wave took dreadful casualties. Company B of the Royal Winnipeg Rifles was cut down to one officer and 25 men as it moved to reach the seawall. In the assault teams, the chance of becoming a casualty in that first hour was almost 1 in 2.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Juno-Beach

Last edited:
Back