damo is this you?

damo what happens if you put it into a little pouch, and then sewed the patch onto a person?

also what happens if you kill the queen bee?

damo what happens if you put it into a little pouch, and then sewed the patch onto a person?

also what happens if you kill the queen bee?
Actually, each spring I look into the hive to see the brood, if the queen starts laying a poor pattern or not enough brood to keep the hive healthy I kill her. That causes the workers to immediately start feeding some day-old brood royal jelly which creates a queen. Several are born at once, they fight to the death and the strongest survives to become the new queen of the hive.

In the interim the hive becomes VERY AGGRESSIVE while waiting for the queen to emerge...

If you sew her into a pouch and attach it to a person the bees will collect where the queen is. However, if they aren't in a hive they are less aggressive and therefore you can usually do this without injury. This is how they get the guys with bee beards, etc.

Did you know that queen bees "quack"? (It's officially called trumpeting). They do this as they are introducing themselves to the hive, or while there are other queens that they are going to battle for dominance of the hive. It basically announces, "Here is a queen bee!" to all the workers and drones. You can actually hear it quite readily from about 10 feet or so from the hive.

If they can get the hive to accept them as THE queen, they won't even have to battle the other queens, the workers will actually "bake" the other queens to death by crowding around them until they create heat in the center at over 125 degrees...

This is also what would happen if you just opened a hive and dropped in a queen without killing the other one first...

You can purchase queens and have them mailed to you if you need to "requeen" a hive quickly and don't want to wait for your hive to create a new queen...

Did you know that queen bees "quack"? (It's officially called trumpeting). They do this as they are introducing themselves to the hive, or while there are other queens that they are going to battle for dominance of the hive. It basically announces, "Here is a queen bee!" to all the workers and drones. You can actually hear it quite readily from about 10 feet or so from the hive.

If they can get the hive to accept them as THE queen, they won't even have to battle the other queens, the workers will actually "bake" the other queens to death by crowding around them until they create heat in the center at over 125 degrees...

This is also what would happen if you just opened a hive and dropped in a queen without killing the other one first...

You can purchase queens and have them mailed to you if you need to "requeen" a hive quickly and don't want to wait for your hive to create a new queen...

Mailorder brides for your hive? Very cool.

I just thought Bee Keeping was a great way to have your own mead ingredient. I had no idea that it was so cool too.

Back