Darned frivilous lawsuits.

uscitizen

Villified User
Imus won't go quietly
The talk show host has hired a top First Amendment lawyer, and an unusual clause in his contract could give him a $40 million payday, writes Fortune's Tim Arango.
FORTUNE Magazine
By Tim Arango, Fortune writer
May 2 2007: 12:48 PM EDT

NEW YORK (Fortune) -- Don Imus, the tousled and acerbic radio host whose racial remarks engendered a media storm that triggered a swift upending of his career, is not going away quietly even if the imbroglio has all but disappeared from the national conversation in the wake of the Virginia Tech massacre.

For Imus, who made a career out of operating in the murky space between sophomoric humor and high-brow political talk, there is the little matter of about $40 million left on his contract with CBS Radio - whose boss Les Moonves fired the shock jock on April 12. CBS' lawyers contend Imus was fired for cause and not owed the rest of the money.

But Imus has hired one of the nation's premiere First Amendment attorneys, and the two sides are gearing up for a legal showdown that could turn on how language in his contract that encouraged the radio host to be irreverent and engage in character attacks is interpreted, according to one person who has read the contract.
http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/01/news/newsmakers/pluggedin_arango_imus.fortune/index.htm?

I wouldn't be surprised if CBS settles this, maybe for half or something. I figure they can always come up with some "paperwork" showing that he was warned previously, but he probably was not. I have no doubt they did encourage it. He was a shock jock. They knew it. I don't know that they'd want all of it exposed in court. He might get a payday here, but I doubt the whole 40 million.

I'm sure it will be settled out of court. See BS doesn't want to be dragged through the courts and embarrassed. It would be all too clear that he was doing what he was hired to do.

I'm sure it will be settled out of court. See BS doesn't want to be dragged through the courts and embarrassed. It would be all too clear that he was doing what he was hired to do.

"See BS", that's cute. But it'd be great to see him lose

The idea of somebody making money by making such remarks pretty much disgusts me. I can't imagine why anybody would watch/listen to Imus anyway. See BS should have fired him for teh suxor, no need to come up with a "reason" like this.

Back