Dear Tom, How accurate were thermometers in the 19th century

cancel2 2022

Canceled
Yes that's a good question, and the answer is surprisingly accurate. There have been a few fools on here, mainly flotsam from Amazon, that stated otherwise but what can you say? They're fools after all!!

Temperature readings taken from precise mercury thermometers in use by the U.S. Weather Bureau in the late 1800s were more accurate than readings provided by today's electronic thermometers.

Once properly calibrated, a mercury-in-glass thermometer requires no additional adjustment to its readings, so long as the glass bulb that contains the mercury reservoir and its attached expansion tube are undisturbed. Temperature measurements in the late 1800s were accurate to one- or two-tenths of a degree Fahrenheit.

However, readings from those thermometers had to be obtained manually, whereas digital readouts from today's electronic thermometers are continuously available and can be remoted. The tradeoff for this convenience is accuracy. Most electronic thermometers are considered accurate within plus or minus 2 degrees F., and require maintenance because they gradually go out of calibration.

----------

Tom Skilling is chief meteorologist at WGN-TV. His weather forecasts can be seen Monday through Friday on WGN News at noon and 9 p.m.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2000-05-28/news/0005280042_1_thermometers-readings-accurate

Sent from my Lenovo K8 using Tapatalk

I would expect you to be an expert on all 19th century matters, being that that's when you were born.
Someone asked Bernard Shaw what, in his opinion, is the most beautiful thing in this world.

“Youth,” he replied, “is the most beautiful thing in this world—and what a pity that it has to be wasted on children!”

I would expect you to be an expert on all 19th century matters, being that that's when you were born.

Good grief, there was a time when you were at least able to raise a titter. Now you're about as funny as a ham sandwich at a Bar Mitzvah.

Last edited:
Just like I dialed your mother.
9e8ad00a589edfcbb121dd61fc49e9ff.jpg

Back