Definitely time for a regime change

LadyT

JPP Modarater
Contributor
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/15/iraq.slaying.ap/index.html

"FORT CAMPBELL, Kentucky (AP) -- One of four U.S. soldiers accused of raping an Iraqi girl last spring and killing her and her family pleaded guilty Wednesday and will testify against the others."

Say what...?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/15/iraq.slaying.ap/index.html

"FORT CAMPBELL, Kentucky (AP) -- One of four U.S. soldiers accused of raping an Iraqi girl last spring and killing her and her family pleaded guilty Wednesday and will testify against the others."

I don't see the connection to a "regime change"...albeit these four should and will be tried in a court of law for their crimes...they are four out of the over 220,000 soldiers involved in the Iraq war...you will find incidents of this nature in any war past ,present or future...sad but true!

I have to agree with Battlebore at this point. At least the govt is prosecuting the bad soldiers. Of course we never should have invaded and occupied Iraq anyway, but that is a seperate issue.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Battleborne at this point. At least the govt is prosecuting the bad soldiers. Of course we never should have invaded and occupied Iraq anyway, but that is a seperate issue.

I don't think its quite that simple. Yes, they are doing the appropiate thing now (I believe its because of the media attention but that's debatable). The military had plenty of forewarnings that Green (the ringleader) had problems, he was a high school drop out and he had a few alchohol and drug offenses on his record. The problem is that that Rummy and Bush have stretched our military resources so thin that they've lowered their standards and allowed this piece of $hit in the military et VOILA! And secondly, in the military, you're superiors are responsible for their reports actions. Why the hell does (or "did") the buck always stop before Rummy? Where's the accountability. If this were one of two incidents of civilian deaths at our hands, I could see such a dismissal of this event, but the fact is, since we've been in there our troops have intentionally/mistakenly way too many civilians and for one am tired of people chalking it up to: the price of freedom/war is war. The people of Iraq didn't ask for this nor do they deserve this occupation.

The people of Iraq didn't ask for this nor do they deserve this occupation.
//

Amen to that and I agree with everything else you said, however I think your use of the phrase "Definitely time for a regime change" is off the mark in this case. I for sure do agree it is time for a regime change, and am glad to see it beginning.

Amen to that and I agree with everything else you said, however I think your use of the phrase "Definitely time for a regime change" is off the mark in this case. I for sure do agree it is time for a regime change, and am glad to see it beginning.

Why? Stories like this are the fruits of Rummy and Bush's labor. At the end of the day it will always come back to poor execution, lack of exit strategy and their failure to weigh all of the costs of this war.

There have been a very many of these 'isolated' incidents in Iraq.

An investigation should be launched to investigate how the ethos was set.

...you will find incidents of this nature in any war past ,present or future...sad but true!

I agree with this statement... although it doesnt justify anything... in todays world of intense media coverage.... the wrongs of War are naturally magnified to the umpteenth degree. We are bombarded with the daily realties of War like no other generation before us... and thankfully...most of us are not accepting of it ...

Does anyone really think that prior Wars...including the WW2 Brigades that is known as the Greatest Generation were without their War Crimes that went untried? I for one am relieved that these crimes of todays War ..the major cluster fuck that is also known as the Iraqi Occupation are not sifting through the system and those responsible will justifiably be punished...

Back