Dire Straits guitarist Jack Sonni dies age 68

signalmankenneth

Verified User
He was a pretty good guitarist too?!!

Rest in Peace!

[FONT=cnn_sans_display]CNN — [/FONT]
[FONT=cnn_sans_display]Jack Sonni, former guitarist for British rock band Dire Straits, has died, the group announced on social media.
[/FONT]

[FONT=cnn_sans_display]“#JackSonni Rest In Peace” the band wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter, on Thursday alongside a black and white photograph of the guitarist. He was 68.
[/FONT]

[FONT=cnn_sans_display]Sonni, who was born in Indiana, Pennsylvania, met founding Dire Straits members and guitarists David and Mark Knopfler while working in a guitar shop in Manhattan in 1978, according to a post on the Dire Straits Blog, which was shared by the band on social media.[/FONT]

[FONT=cnn_sans_display]The Knopflers had founded the band the year before with bassist John Illsley and drummer Pick Withers.

[/FONT]
[FONT=cnn_sans_display]The Knopflers had founded the band the year before with bassist John Illsley and drummer Pick Withers.
[/FONT]

[FONT=cnn_sans_display]Affectionately known as “the other guitarist” – a label he embraced in the biography on his own website – Sonni began to play with the band, including for the album “Brothers in Arms,” which shot to international success, and the subsequent tour.
[/FONT]

[FONT=cnn_sans_display]The album spent 14 weeks at number one in the UK following its release in 1985, and nine weeks at number one in the Billboard Top 200. The album went on to sell more than 30 million copies worldwide, according to the band’s official website. “Brothers in Arms” is credited with being the first album to sell more than one million copies in CD format, according to Billboard.
[/FONT]

[FONT=cnn_sans_display]“So sorry to hear the sad news that Jack Sonni has died, we loved having him with us on the Brothers in Arms tour, fond memories,” Illsley wrote in a post on Facebook Thursday.[/FONT]

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/01/entertainment/dire-straits-jack-sonni-dies-intl-scli/index.html

Money for Nothing was the only Dire Straits song that I remember,
it having been popular in the 1980s MTV video era when my kids used to watch.

It was a cute, humorous song, I thought.

I think Keep Your Hands to Yourself by the Georgia Satellites
was roughly around that time too,

as was
Walk Like an Egyptian by the Bangles.

That's roughly what I can remember from the 80s, anyway, but
I believe there were some other songs as well.

I think Keep Your Hands to Yourself by the Georgia Satellites
was roughly around that time too,

as was
Walk Like an Egyptian by the Bangles.

That's roughly what I can remember from the 80s, anyway, but
I believe there were some other songs as well.

Same here too!

Aaaah...understood. I really like Mark Knopfler's guitar work and it was really hard for me NOT to remember Sultans of Swing.

Probably one of the world's greatest guitar masterpieces and performances of all times- like Stairway to heaven.

I have never ever played a guitar song or heard a record with so many tasty, bluesy, almost jazz-like guitar licks and embellishments.

This was ear-candy from start to finish!

This was no "less is more" thing- this was "Gimme' everything you got"!

And I don't believe anyone will ever top the performance. Even the lyrics are a beaut, and possess such classic artform to them by using a true musicians lingo in the song!!

One thing unique about the composition, that you never see in any other Top Hit song I know of- is the fact that the song has 5 verses with no chorus or even a bridge!

The 80's music did either one of two things- it made some people feel 20 years older, or for people like me, it made me feel 20 years younger! [Geeko Sportivo]

Last edited:
Back