Discovering Ardi

Thorn

For Mott and anyone else who missed the original airing but wanted to see it: Discovery Channel will air this program this evening, Thursday, October 15th, at 9 p.m. Eastern, 8 Central. (you're Central time, right?).

what is it etc

Ardi is short for the fossilized skeleton of Ardipithecus *** (asterisks because I forget the rest of the formal name) recently found in Africa. The find was recently announced and a special was aired on the Discovery Channel. It's about a million years older than Lucy and speculation is growing that it may be closer to the common ancestor we share with the apes, esp. chimpanzees. An important part of this hypothesis comes from the observation and measurement of the upper and lower canines of this creature. It's a terrific find. Apparently the same team is now working in different parts of the region where the skeleton was found, and are picking up all sorts of material, dated around the approximate age of the creature, to understand how it might have lived, climate, vegetation, diet, etc., etc.

ARDI is a tranisitional species between apes and homo erectus.

Was that it? Not the common ancestor but another important step further back from Lucy. OK, can you remember (though your memory of names is better than mine, I think) is it Ardipithecus Afarensis?

Ardi is short for the fossilized skeleton of Ardipithecus *** (asterisks because I forget the rest of the formal name) recently found in Africa. The find was recently announced and a special was aired on the Discovery Channel. It's about a million years older than Lucy and speculation is growing that it may be closer to the common ancestor we share with the apes, esp. chimpanzees. An important part of this hypothesis comes from the observation and measurement of the upper and lower canines of this creature. It's a terrific find. Apparently the same team is now working in different parts of the region where the skeleton was found, and are picking up all sorts of material, dated around the approximate age of the creature, to understand how it might have lived, climate, vegetation, diet, etc., etc.

I thought the way they plotted the way it may have moved, using the gymnast and the computer graphics, was really cool.
Of course the guy (forget his name) who did all the drawings, from the bones out to the skin, was pretty good too.

nice, you tell me thanks and then insult me by altering my name.....a hearty fuck you to you as well.......
ROTFLMAO!!! I tried to give you rep points for that rebuttal but the damned thing wouldn't let me. :clink:

Hey, it's not my fault that your screen name makes an all to obvious, and delightfully ironic, acronym. It's kinda like what Hawkeye said to Col. Blake about Margaret Hoolahan. "It's not our fault Hotlips doesn't like her name!"

Last edited:
What abouit if it is a species that branched off in two directions??
One direction becoming apes and the other direction homo erectus.
It's not about direction. That's a common misconception about evolution and evolutionary theory. Evolution is not directional, rather it tends to be, over the vast scale of time, difuse.

The reason ARDI would be considered a "transitional Species" is mainly due to anatomical homologies. That is, ARDI would share anatomical features common to apes and anatomical features common to homo erectus, our ancestors. That is, they have anatomical features which are homologous to both apes and homo erectus.

I say "Would" because I have not seen the program yet and do not know the specifics of what those anatomical homologies would be.

Last edited:
ROTFLMAO!!! I tried to give you rep points for that rebuttal but the damned thing wouldn't let me. :clink:

Hey, it's not my fault that your screen name makes an all to obvious, and delightfully ironic, acronym. It's kinda like what Hawkeye said to Col. Blake about Margaret Hoolahan. "It's not our fault Hotlips doesn't like her name!"

yeah I understand.....it's like when I call you Mott the Fuckwit.....it's nothing personal, it just comes out naturally when I read your posts.....

It's not about direction. That's a common misconception about evolution and evolutionary theory. Evolution is not directional, rather it tends to be, over the vast scale of time, difuse.

The reason ARDI would be considered a "transitional Species" is mainly due to anatomical homologies. That is, ARDI would share anatomical features common to apes and anatomical features common to homo erectus, our ancestors. That is, they have anatomical features which are homologous to both apes and homo erectus.

I say "Would" because I have not seen the program yet and do not know the specifics of what those anatomical homologies would be.

Are you saying that if you begin to trace back surviving species that it just ends up defused.

If you don't mind, I'll hold to my possible theory and you can believe in..........................what ever it is you believe.

Are you saying that if you begin to trace back surviving species that it just ends up defused.

If you don't mind, I'll hold to my possible theory and you can believe in..........................what ever it is you believe.
Oh gawd, not another scientifically illiterate? I don't know what the hell your saying. Sounds like some scientifically illiterate mumbo jumbo but I would appreciate if you didn't put words in my mouth cause what you said is NOT what I said and if you don't understand what I said, well go do some stuyding.

Back