Disney stepping up!

Jarod

Contributor
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co. said on Monday it is putting limits on the calorie, fat and sugar it will allow in packaged foods it markets to children using the faces of Mickey Mouse and other Disney characters.

The move comes amid widening media focus on the growing number of obese and overweight children in the United States. It also follows the expiration this year of a decade-long exclusive deal Disney had to promote its films in McDonald's Corp.'s fast-food kids' Happy Meals.

In a statement, Disney said it has outlined new guidelines for the foods it will allow to carry one of its licenses.

For instance, added sugar in those foods will not exceed 10 percent of calories for main and side dishes and 25 percent of calories for snacks. Total fat will not exceed 30 percent of calories for main and side dishes and 35 percent for snacks.

Disney has also pledged to eliminate artery-clogging trans fats from both the food served at its theme parks and in its licensed and promotional products.

"The Disney brand and characters are in a unique position to market food that kids will want and parents will feel good about giving them," Disney Chief Executive Robert Iger said in a statement.

The timetable for implementing the new policies will depend on existing licensing contracts, most of which will expire within the next two years.

The company said most of its licensed products and promotional tie-ins will meet the new guidelines by the end of 2008.

Food served at Disney theme parks will be free of trans fats by the end of 2007, the company said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061016/hl_nm/media_disney_food_dc_3

This is something the Government should stay out of... but I am proud when an American company steps up and leads the way for healthier food.

A good thing Disney is doing.
thgis could only have happened because the Baptists dropped their boycott against disney ;)

US I guess you are a oat bran muffin man! LOL

Oat bran muffins are ok, but I do love junk food. It is just that Krispy Cremes are highly overrated.

I do wonder how long till we have a fat tax. After all obesity rivals smoking for cause of death and health care costs. So fair is fair.

Business will self regulate despite what some people tell you.
In some areas and sometimes, but not in all cases. The electric industry was deregulated, but the promised savings have not happened.
Other deregulated industries have caused savings, telephone for instance. More confusion, but more savings, at least for those able to figure out how to take advantage of the complex plans and such now.
the banking industry deregulation has not provided much savings to consumers either. Just a myriad of higher fees and rip off interest rates if you are lax on as little as one payment.

Back