Do you know your local farmer?

DigitalDave

Sexy Beast!
http://robbwolf.com/2014/01/24/eating-close-home-saving-grace/

There are multiple benefits to getting to know your local farmer.

1) You have access to healthier food
2) You won't have to go to some fancy smancy organic food store to overpay for your meat/produce.
3) Its good for your local economy to buy direct from local people.
4) You KNOW whats in your food.
5) It's better for the environment.
6) You make a friend.

Buying from a local farmer for my food has helped me lose a ton of weight, stop snoring and overall, I have more energy. I stopped buying fast food junk and decided to eat prepared meals. It is a little bit more expensive up-front to eat this way, but the savings quickly add up when you are visiting the doctor less. There is also a societal cost to buying all that crap food, that is greatly reduced when buying local. If more Americans ate this way, we wouldn't have the obesity problems we have today. Farming would be a much more meaningful job and not just a bunch of assembly line workers.

Also, if I do buy fast food anymore, now-a-days, I prefer Chipotle. They say their beef is grass fed, which I hope to be true. Costs a little more for a burrito there, but you can tell the difference in their ingredients from say, Taco Bell. I almost never feel full eating Taco Bell, but I can tell with Chipotle.

:rofl2:

Sure I see them as I drive on the 405 freeway in Los Angeles to work. Do the fucking illegals selling fruit at the bottom of the freeway exits count as farmers?

I am my local farmer, having grown vegetables for my family since before I had a family. At one time I grew all my own vegetables but lately, only a small percentage.

For those less initiated, many farmers here will sell "shares" of their crop. You buy in during the off season (when they need the money) and in return they'll meet you at a central location on a predetermined schedule and give you a box of whatever they harvested that day. I have not used this system for veggies, but I have used it in the past for wine...

http://robbwolf.com/2014/01/24/eating-close-home-saving-grace/

There are multiple benefits to getting to know your local farmer.

1) You have access to healthier food
2) You won't have to go to some fancy smancy organic food store to overpay for your meat/produce.
3) Its good for your local economy to buy direct from local people.
4) You KNOW whats in your food.
5) It's better for the environment.
6) You make a friend.

Buying from a local farmer for my food has helped me lose a ton of weight, stop snoring and overall, I have more energy. I stopped buying fast food junk and decided to eat prepared meals. It is a little bit more expensive up-front to eat this way, but the savings quickly add up when you are visiting the doctor less. There is also a societal cost to buying all that crap food, that is greatly reduced when buying local. If more Americans ate this way, we wouldn't have the obesity problems we have today. Farming would be a much more meaningful job and not just a bunch of assembly line workers.

Also, if I do buy fast food anymore, now-a-days, I prefer Chipotle. They say their beef is grass fed, which I hope to be true. Costs a little more for a burrito there, but you can tell the difference in their ingredients from say, Taco Bell. I almost never feel full eating Taco Bell, but I can tell with Chipotle.
You forgot #7. His daughter. :)

Chipotle is a GREAT way to lose weight. One burrito and I can drop every meal I've had in the previous week.

My plumbing bills though....

west Michigan is a great place to know farmers.......along the shore line you have blueberries, strawberries, peaches, apples, cherries, grapes......as you head up Hudson Valley you have the peat farms......celery, onions, radishes, carrots, lettuce......

I know lots of them... both locals and gringos... we have an organic farmer's market in town that runs on Saturday mornings and the main market down in Centro is fucking HUGE with all sorts of local produce.

My local farmers market is in a nearby Amish community. Oh my lord the home made meats and cheeses and canned/preserved foods they sell are just beyond awesome. They also run a couple of Restaurants nearby "Der Dutchman" and "The Dutch Kitchen". They serve your typical home cooked German farm food, which is good...but their baked goods are like to die for!

They bake cinnamon rolls as big as your head and the moistest carrot cakes you ever ate and pies! OMG The Pies! They bake just about every kind of pie imaginable. Fruit pies, Peanut Butter pie, Banana Cream Pies, Chocolate Cream Pies, Sugar Cream Pies (my personal favorite), Key lime pies and on and on....I might have to go there for lunch today! :)

My local farmers market is in a nearby Amish community. Oh my lord the home made meats and cheeses and canned/preserved foods they sell are just beyond awesome. They also run a couple of Restaurants nearby "Der Dutchman" and "The Dutch Kitchen". They serve your typical home cooked German farm food, which is good...but their baked goods are like to die for!

They bake cinnamon rolls as big as your head and the moistest carrot cakes you ever ate and pies! OMG The Pies! They bake just about every kind of pie imaginable. Fruit pies, Peanut Butter pie, Banana Cream Pies, Chocolate Cream Pies, Sugar Cream Pies (my personal favorite), Key lime pies and on and on....I might have to go there for lunch today! :)

Mott, I think we live pretty close to one another. Are you speaking of Holmes county area? Or are you a little further south?

Back