Do you read?

Jarod

Contributor
I wonder if reading books is a thing of the past? Do you read? If so what? How often? Why? What does it do for you?

I wonder if reading books is a thing of the past? Do you read? If so what? How often? Why? What does it do for you?
I love books, hate reading on my phone, but some things can’t be avoided. I read fiction and non fiction. Just finished reading Hierophant, A Tarot Trilogy. Still reading Mueller report.

I still read actual books - hard cover and paper back.

These days, when I am traveling by airplane, I am seemingly the only person on the plane holding an actual book.

I have been reading the "Metro" trilogy by Russian author Dmitry Glukhovsky

Set in the shattered subway of a post apocalyptic Moscow.... In 2013 the world was devastated by an apocalyptic event, annihilating almost all mankind and turning the earth’s surface into a poisonous wasteland. A handful of survivors took refuge in the depths of the Moscow underground, and human civilization entered a new Dark Age.

The year is 2033. An entire generation has been born and raised underground, and their besieged Metro Station-Cities struggle for survival, with each other, and the mutant horrors that await outside.

source - Amazon summary

I still feel like reading is more enjoyable on the written page, turning pages by hand, and holding a book.

'The Shadow War' by Jim Sciutto.
A book about Americans sucking their thumbs, totally oblivious to what is occurring around them.

"In The Shadow War, CNN anchor and chief national security correspondent Jim Sciutto provides us with a revealing and at times disturbing guide to this new international conflict. This Shadow War is already the greatest threat to America’s national security, even though most Americans know little or nothing about it. With on-the-ground reporting from Ukraine to the South China Sea, from a sub under the Arctic to unprecedented access to America’s Space Command, Sciutto draws on his deep knowledge, high-level contacts, and personal experience as a journalist and diplomat to paint the most comprehensive and vivid picture of a nation targeted by a new and disturbing brand of warfare."
https://www.harpercollins.com/9780062853646/the-shadow-war/

Always. Regular books, newspapers, magazines, internet sites. Also books on kindle. What I don't do is listen to audiobooks.

Always. Regular books, newspapers, magazines, internet sites. Also books on kindle. What I don't do is listen to audiobooks.
I always knew something was wrong w/ you..:mad:

Why, if I may ask?? I don't do them as often but if you are working around the house, cycling or kayaking you can multi-task, although not always so well as their are distractions..

Of course. Mainly Kindle but not all.
Literature, of course. History and special interest and some guilty pleasure pop fiction (Harry Potter etc).
What does it do for me ? Keeps me from wasting more time here : )

I always knew something was wrong w/ you..:mad:

Why, if I may ask?? I don't do them as often but if you are working around the house, cycling or kayaking you can multi-task, although not always so well as their are distractions..

Lol. I just never got into audiobooks, there's nothing wrong with them. I could see myself cutting off a finger listening to a book when using a sharp tool, though... :D

Lol. I just never got into audiobooks, there's nothing wrong with them. I could see myself cutting off a finger listening to a book when using a sharp tool, though... :D

LOL, well I don't do that...

There are times when I have it on & forget to listen, so I have to go back & listen again, sometimes almost a chapter...

Growing-up without television (or a computer until I hit HS) helped mold me into an avid reader. The only childhood distraction I had was a Gameboy (finally got a Nintendo in HS). Now that I have TV, high-speed internet, and a smartphone, I have gotten quite lazy.

Anymore I just read Manga, or make up my own stories. New chapters in Manga, are one of the few things I look forward to anymore.

I love books, hate reading on my phone, but some things can’t be avoided. I read fiction and non fiction. Just finished reading Hierophant, A Tarot Trilogy. Still reading Mueller report.

Interesting, I am an avid reader and love reading on my phone. Don't need a light at night, easy to carry my current books etc..

Though I am thinking of getting a tablet or something for books when I am not traveling. I have a mid priced phone, moto 6 or something, nice screen, but why would I pay about $600 more for a slightly larger screen if I want it only for reading?

I used love reading hardback, because it felt like the "never ending story". You could lie down and get lost in the pages.

As I became accustomed to cell phones (always behind the times on them) I started reading more news etc on them. An then I tried Kindle and have never looked back. You can change the background to sepia to make it more like a book and change the page turn function to make it more like a book.

And did I mention, you don't need a night light to read it.

Why do you care?

giphy.gif

Yes I read, all sorts of literature from fiction to non-fiction. I find it enlightening and it makes me a more well rounded and informed person.

Media may change but reading is still a fundamental skill.

Back