Do you think presidents control the US economy?

Do you think presidents control the US economy?

• Yes, I do

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No, I don't

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I think some did & others didn't

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I think only Obama does

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Yes, to a small degree
Like quarterbacks they get too much credit and too much blame
Like my avatar points out, the economy does way better under dem presidents

Presidents have a lot of power over the economy through negotiations with congress over the budget and how they choose to enforce the law.

I mean, congress technically has more power, but it never does anything because it's constantly gridlocked.

Power abhors a vacuum. If congress is constantly gridlocked and unable to make decisions, something else will naturally come along to fill in its place.

No one person can "control" the economy. Can they impact segments of the economy? Certainly. Any President can do that.

But, to make a blanket statement saying that any one person can "control" the economy is a fallacy

But presidents get kicked out for bad economies and reelected for good ones

That is a different argument.

The best any President can do is put obstacles in place or remove them. To that extent, I guess you can say that they impact the economy, but they can't control it. To say one person can control the economy is to say that one person can control 300 million people. Because ultimately, the economy is based off of 300 million individual decisions.

That is a different argument.

The best any President can do is put obstacles in place or remove them. To that extent, I guess you can say that they impact the economy, but they can't control it. To say one person can control the economy is to say that one person can control 300 million people. Because ultimately, the economy is based off of 300 million individual decisions.
So repealing Glass-Steagall and bringing in the Financial Services Modernisation Act had no adverse effects on the economy?

I think that some put obstacles in the way and others remove them but the economy trudges along. They influence the economy, not control it. I also understand and recognize a false dichotomy, like the OP and question, when I see one.

Presidents have a lot of power over the economy through negotiations with congress over the budget and how they choose to enforce the law.

I mean, congress technically has more power, but it never does anything because it's constantly gridlocked.
Congress is a committee. Committees don't accomplish a lot. They generate a lot of ideas and a lot of fights. The President is a chief executive. It is his job to do. So he does...and congress fights about it. Judges get to decide if either one of them know what the hell they are doing.

It's how it works. Congress hasn't created a power vacuum. Congress is just being congress.

So repealing Glass-Steagall and bringing in the Financial Services Modernisation Act had no adverse effects on the economy?

I never said that. I believe that words mean things. The President can influence the economy but he can't control it.

Two different things. If people want to conflate the two, there is no point proceeding

I never said that. I believe that words mean things. The President can influence the economy but he can't control it.

Two different things. If people want to conflate the two, there is no point proceeding
Well that's the logical fallacy of the Troll's question that Damo was pointing out.

I believe that repealing Glass-Steagall and implementing the FSMA had a profoundly adverse affect on the economy. Clinton should never have put his name to them.

I believe that liberal Obama worshipers believe he controls the economy when it is doing good and don't believe he controls the economy when it is doing bad. When the economy is bad, the republicans control the economy.

Just ask Legion Troll, he has said this many times.

I believe that liberal Obama worshipers believe he controls the economy when it is doing good and don't believe he controls the economy when it is doing bad. When the economy is bad, the republicans control the economy. Just ask Legion Troll, he has said this many times.

I have?

Link up.

I'll understand if you can't.

Back