Dock workers suspend strike until 1/15/25. Good news for the US....

....and for Kamala Harris who might have faced some backlash if the news one month prior to the election would have been dominated by predictions of skyrocketing prices on everything.

Wow. Great news. Which shows that unions support Harris. Also, this particular union probably got a lot of pushback from other unions that would have suffered as a result. Truly an unusual situation this time around.

....and for Kamala Harris who might have faced some backlash if the news one month prior to the election would have been dominated by predictions of skyrocketing prices on everything.

Agreed, good news for the US. Our economy is suffering enough. That said, I support the First Amendment which includes freedom of association.

I support unions, but like my support for management and business investors, also I support reason. The hugely lopsided distribution of wealth is the US is directly linked to the demonization of unions by Republicans for over 40 years.

IMO, Americans, overall, are poorly educated. Part of this is simple neglect by the public. Another is by design since uneducated people are easier to manipulate.

This is a big reason why I support "free" college education via the Internet at all libraries. There will be some costs for those who seek to get credit for the work or, in some cases, "do labs". Still, the education should be there for free to those who want to learn.

Another problem is that all education is funded about 90% locally. IIRC, American tax dollars only provide about 8% of school funding. This means rich counties have rich schools and poor counties have poor schools.

This ain't right, IMO. It hurts our country when most of our citizens aren't well educated and healthy.

Consider

Their purpose of unions is to bring economic justice to the workplace and social justice to the nation.

1. They Do Not Provide Representation For Free

If you think that unions will help you free of cost, then you’re at a mistake.

Union expenses range from 200 dollars to several hundred dollars every year. That’s a big part of the worker’s paycheck.

I guess the union's leadership, who are solidly behind Harris and the un-Democratic Party, figured out that a strike weeks before a national election was going to torpedo their selected candidate...

Got a link for that?

Because his usual thing is opposing a constructive solution if it will hurt his election chances.
First, most lower end union workers support Trump. They're the white male blue collar workers Hillary assumed would support her. Now they are sticking with Trump.

IMO, that's stupid because, as Pedo Don proved with Elon Musk, both are strongly anti-union.

I guess the union's leadership, who are solidly behind Harris and the un-Democratic Party, figured out that a strike weeks before a national election was going to torpedo their selected candidate...
Keep up that anti-union rhetoric, Terry.

Once the blue-collar union workers realize Team Trump is anti-union like you, they'll flip back to the Democrats, dumbass.

Whereas it shouldn't, it would have damaged Harris. I don't think they really gave a fuck about that when it comes down to it. I'm positive that other huge unions across the nation pushed back. They would have been out of work.

Saving the nation from a crippling strike IS HELPING his election chances. What a POTUS!
The only way this helps trump is if he tweets that he threatened them with the Taft/Hartley act if elected. As Bush did in '02. Knowing this might just boost trump's chances, they backed down for now.

The only way this helps trump is if he tweets that he threatened them with the Taft/Hartley act if elected. As Bush did in '02. Knowing this might just boost trump's chances, they backed down for now.
Trump is anti-union. Any union workers who support Trump are asking to get their futures diminished.

The thing that I don't get, is why in spite of pressure and lobbying from retail and manufacturing associations to step in and invoke the Taft-Hartley Act to shut down the strike for 80 days, and knowing a strike could help trump, Biden said he wouldn't do anything.

I know he's a strong pro-union guy, but come on. There are bigger things at stake here.

Maybe he's trying to avoid the appearance of election influencing, but for Pete's sake, he's only got 3½ months left in office and doing whatever it takes to keep the country out of the hands of that lunatic trump is the only thing he should be concerned with.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Some manufacturers and retailers are urging President Joe Biden to invoke a 1947 law as a way to suspend a strike by 45,000 dockworkers that has shut down 36 U.S. ports from Maine to Texas.

At issue is Section 206 of the Labor Management Relations Act of 1947, better known as the Taft-Hartley Act. The law authorizes a president to seek a court order for an 80-day cooling-off period for companies and unions to try to resolve their differences.

Biden has said, though, that he won’t intervene in the strike.... he won’t use Taft-Hartley to intervene

Despite lobbying by the National Association of Manufacturers and the National Retail Federation, the president has maintained that he has no plans to try to suspend the dockworkers’ strike against ports on the East and Gulf coasts.

Biden, as per my above post, said he would not use T-H to intervene.

Biden, as per my above post, said he would not use T-H to intervene.
Before an election, he has no other choice. In a normal world if they went on strike, Harris doesn't get the blame and wins the election. If the union stays on strike until mid November with a refusal to come off of their astronomical demands, Biden might have stepped in or at least threatened.

Moot point. For now.

Behind closed doors, someone somewhere put the fear of God into the union.

Before an election, he has no other choice. In a normal world if they went on strike, Harris doesn't get the blame and wins the election. If the union stays on strike until mid November with a refusal to come off of their astronomical demands, Biden might have stepped in or at least threatened.

Moot point. For now.

Behind closed doors, someone somewhere put the fear of God into the union.

I don't see why he supposedly had no choice or should've waited until mid November after the election.

Especially given that trump and his legion of liars would've been howling like dogs baying at the moon about how it was all Biden and Harris' fault in the weeks leading up to November 5th.

I don't see why he supposedly had no choice or should've waited until mid November after the election.

Especially given that trump and his legion of liars would've been howling like dogs baying at the moon about how it was all Biden and Harris' fault in the weeks leading up to November 5th.
First...you might have missed that I mentioned the T/H act only as a way trump could have possibly tried to spin this as his achievement.

I never mentioned Biden. Before this election, it's a booby trap no matter what position Biden took. Not for him, of course but his interest is in getting Harris elected.

Do nothing, and the economy tanks. Step in, and the union voters stay home.

In my scenario, Harris is elected despite an economy that is destroyed due to the strike, and Biden loses patience by mid November IF the union is stubbornly refusing to move. Honestly, the counter offer was more than fair.

But honestly, invoking T/H would have only suspended the strike and done so for a slightly shorter time than the suspension they've agreed to.

Plus, I think the pro-Harris union members recognize what staying home might have gotten them.... trump.

I dunno.

I think allowing a strike of that magnitude and consequence to happen one month before such a close and consequential election would have been a bad idea.

Back