Does anybody know about this incident?

cancel2 2022

Canceled
250px-Mk_6_nuclear_bomb.jpg

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Mars_Bluff,_South_Carolina

My Dad witnessed a nuclear explosion back in May 25, 1953. He was something like three miles from ground zero. The only one ever launched from a cannon, called Atomic Annie, from 7 miles away. They made 20 more of these artillery pieces and my Great Aunt ran the crane at the arsenal near Boston where some were made. Her name is also Anne.

It gets weirder. Annie was based off the German K5 gun captured after WW2. Today I skied with a guy who's father was a commander of a German artillery crew that ran one of those. They are from an area in Germany where my ancestry is from, and he knew many people with my same last name.

My Dad witnessed a nuclear explosion back in May 25, 1953. He was something like three miles from ground zero. The only one ever launched from a cannon, called Atomic Annie, from 7 miles away. They made 20 more of these artillery pieces and my Great Aunt ran the crane at the arsenal near Boston where some were made. Her name is also Anne.

It gets weirder. Annie was based off the German K5 gun captured after WW2. Today I skied with a guy who's father was a commander of a German artillery crew that ran one of those. They are from an area in Germany where my ancestry is from, and he knew many people with my same last name.

Was it this one?

ff.jpg

Upshot-Knothole Grable, a test carried out by the U.S. military in Nevada on May 25, 1953. A 280mm nuclear shell was fired 10km into the desert by the M65 Atomic Cannon, detonating in the air, about 500 feet above the ground, with a resulting 15 kiloton explosion.

http://www.sott.net/article/228347-When-We-Tested-Nuclear-Bombs

Last edited:
Yes Tom, it was. It was the only nuclear warhead launched from a cannon. It was the army's attempt to have a delivery system.

Yes Tom, it was. It was the only nuclear warhead launched from a cannon. It was the army's attempt to have a delivery system.

Is this near you?

January 24, 1961. A B-52 carrying two 24-megaton nuclear bombs crashed while taking off from an airbase in Goldsboro, North Carolina. One of the weapons sank in swampy farmland, and its uranium core was never found despite intensive search efforts to a depth of 50 feet. To ensure no one else could recover the weapon, the USAF bought a permanent easement requiring government permission to dig on the land.

Not really. Now this is funny:
The third pilot of the bomber, Lt. Adam Mattocks, is the only man known to have successfully bailed out of the top hatch of a B-52 without an ejection seat.[10][11] The commander of the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team, Lt. Jack B. ReVelle, said of the bomb, "How close was it to exploding? My opinion is damn close. You might now have a very large Bay of North Carolina if that thing had gone off."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Goldsboro_B-52_crash

I'm sure it is around Goldsboro, which is where one of our military bases is. But I've never heard of it.

I've heard some funny stories that have occurred in that area. Recruits have to spend a few days out in the "wilderness", which includes some sparsely settled farm houses. One dark night two guys were getting really hungry so grabbed a chicken out of a farmer's coop. The farmer's dog barks, the farmer comes outside with his shotgun, sees something move, figures it's a bear and fires a shell into the air. One recruit returns the favor with automatic fire over the roof of the house and tells the farmer to get back in the house.

Back