Driver guilty in deadly human smuggling case

LadyT

JPP Modarater
Contributor
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/12/04/truck.deaths.ap/index.html

HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- A truck driver was convicted Monday for his role in the nation's deadliest human smuggling attempt, in which 19 illegal immigrants died from dehydration, overheating and suffocation.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I definitely don't think that he should be given the death penalty for this. I don't think that if he knew people were dying he would have kept going.

"Williams' attorney, Craig Washington, said his client transported the illegal immigrants but wasn't responsible for their deaths because he didn't know they were dying until it was too late. Washington blamed another smuggling ring member for causing the deaths by overstuffing the trailer."

This is a travesty, but the truth is the people that were being smuggled had just as much culpabilty in this as he did. They weren't forced to get in the tractor trailer ,they willingly went along and broke the law trying to get into the country. this is why we have laws about smuggling people. Further more, if you are going to have a death penalty, I don't think it should be inflicted on people that are negligent. At least reserve it for those that intentionally kill.

Must....

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/12/04/truck.deaths.ap/index.html

HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- A truck driver was convicted Monday for his role in the nation's deadliest human smuggling attempt, in which 19 illegal immigrants died from dehydration, overheating and suffocation.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I definitely don't think that he should be given the death penalty for this. I don't think that if he knew people were dying he would have kept going.

"Williams' attorney, Craig Washington, said his client transported the illegal immigrants but wasn't responsible for their deaths because he didn't know they were dying until it was too late. Washington blamed another smuggling ring member for causing the deaths by overstuffing the trailer."

This is a travesty, but the truth is the people that were being smuggled had just as much culpabilty in this as he did. They weren't forced to get in the tractor trailer ,they willingly went along and broke the law trying to get into the country. this is why we have laws about smuggling people. Further more, if you are going to have a death penalty, I don't think it should be inflicted on people that are negligent. At least reserve it for those that intentionally kill.

agree...no more comment needed!

Back