Drug that can erase traumatic memories

This sounds dangerous. I wouldn't get anywhere near it but I can understand why many would want it. Many people are already using drugs to suppress memories anyway.

This sounds dangerous. I wouldn't get anywhere near it but I can understand why many would want it. Many people are already using drugs to suppress memories anyway.

IHG, did you see "The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"? Because this totally reminds me of that movie.

I didn't.

Did you like it? If so I'll add it to my netflix queue. Ever since getting that I don't go to the movies any more.

I didn't.

Did you like it? If so I'll add it to my netflix queue. Ever since getting that I don't go to the movies any more.

It's a very strange movie, and at first you don't know what's going on. But that's because the characters themselves don't know what's going on, and you learn along with them.

I did like it a lot.

I would so avoid it.... Nobody is going to muck around in my memories!

Shoot, if I found out I had alzheimer's I would become the loudest ever advocate of doctor assisted suicide!

I would so avoid it.... Nobody is going to muck around in my memories!

Shoot, if I found out I had alzheimer's I would become the loudest ever advocate of doctor assisted suicide!

I have a few I wouldn't mind getting rid of.

But...I wouldn't do this. You know, maybe for people suffering from PTSD, might feel desperate enough to though. I could understand that.

The whole notion of a drug to target and erase specific memories is so speculative as to be not worth mentioning. We do know quite a lot about how memories are formed, but to suggest that any pharmacological intervention is either possible or wise (pharmacological specificity is a critical issue) is nothing short of irresponsible. I'd be willing to bet that those investigators who were quoted in this article were tearing their hair out after reading it! :p

thats the first thing that came to mind as well... suppressing memmory dosnt seem to be a good thing to me...

I have a few I wouldn't mind getting rid of.

But...I wouldn't do this. You know, maybe for people suffering from PTSD, might feel desperate enough to though. I could understand that.

i could understand that they would want too, but i dont think thats the best way to deal with it. i have alot of bad memmorys but i learned alot from em and i wouldnt be who i am today without em.

Yeah Bob, sort of the no pain no gain thing.

It's as someone else (Damo?) said on another thread, what happens in your life isn't nearly as important as how you handle it and what you learn from it. That goes for both small setbacks and large, devastating traumas.

Conditions like PTSD require a lot of working-through coupled with long-term, consistent support. It's possible that a mild tranq during part of that time might be of some assistance, but it shouldn't be used chronically or for a long time.

It's as someone else (Damo?) said on another thread, what happens in your life isn't nearly as important as how you handle it and what you learn from it. That goes for both small setbacks and large, devastating traumas.

Conditions like PTSD require a lot of working-through coupled with long-term, consistent support. It's possible that a mild tranq during part of that time might be of some assistance, but it shouldn't be used chronically or for a long time.

Absolutely on the PTSD timeframe, took me many many years....
But then I might be a bit harder of head than many.
At one point I would have tried the drugs, any drugs, and did try several. some were quite fun but solved nothing...considered trying the old bullet to the head soloution....

About 1 year ago a friend talked me into working with group sessions of Iraq vets at the local VA hospital, I think it helped me more than them, sort of put the finishing touches on my mental healing. Still do it every couple of weeks.

Anyone that truly supports the vets cannot be for this war at this point in my opinion.

Absolutely on the PTSD timeframe, took me many many years....
But then I might be a bit harder of head than many.
At one point I would have tried the drugs, any drugs, and did try several. some were quite fun but solved nothing...considered trying the old bullet to the head soloution....

About 1 year ago a friend talked me into working with group sessions of Iraq vets at the local VA hospital, I think it helped me more than them, sort of put the finishing touches on my mental healing. Still do it every couple of weeks.

Anyone that truly supports the vets cannot be for this war at this point in my opinion.

You know, it's almost too painful even to try to imagine what it must be like for someone facing what soldiers face during war. I commend you, usc, for overcoming your VN experience so well. We absolutely have to support the men and women who are dealing with the horrors of this war in Iraq and in Afghanistan; they deserve no less than the best we can offer them in every way.

Back