Dyed Moroz versus Santa Claus: the real war on Christmas

Cypress

Dyed Moroz (Russian: Дед Мороз) is a Slavic fictional character similar to that of Father Christmas. The literal translation is "Old Man Frost", often translated as "Grandfather Frost". Dyed Moroz brings presents to children and often delivers them in person on New Year's Eve.

Dyed Moroz is accompanied by Snegurochka (Russian: Снегурочка; "Snow Maiden"), his granddaughter and helper, who wears long silver-blue robes and a furry cap[2] or a snowflake-like crown. She is a unique attribute of Dyed Moroz, since similar characters in other cultures don't have a female companion.

Dyed Moroz wears a heel-length fur coat, a semi-round fur hat, and valenki on his feet. He has a long white beard. He walks with a long magic staff and sometimes rides a troika.

The origins of the character of Dyed Moroz predates Christianity as a Slavic wizard of winter, in some books he is a son of Slavic pagan gods Veles and Mara. In Slavic mythology, Frost or Morozko is a snow demon

The residence of Dyed Moroz in Russia is considered to be the town of Veliky Ustyug, Vologda Oblast. The residence of the Belarusian Dzyed Maroz is said to be in Belavezhskaya Pushcha.
4f33beb0-226f-44a8-89be-bd88d2fdf62a.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ded_Moroz

Nonno-gelo-Rievocando-03.jpg

So, is someone out to get Dyed Moroz?

Not that I know off. I just think in a competition with Santa Claus, Ded Moroz and his Snow Maiden bests Santa and his crappy elves hands down!

Personally, I am always impressed how much one can learn about a culture from the fairy tales, myths, and pagan legends.

Not that I know off. I just think in a competition with Santa Claus, Ded Moroz and his Snow Maiden bests Santa and his crappy elves hands down!

Personally, I am always impressed how much one can learn about a culture from the fairy tales, myths, and pagan legends.

I dunno, some people are really into elves...

Back