eclipse

Great shot! Our local news posted several taken by ppl in the UP; we're by the lake so had LE snow going on, but others further inland had clear skies. OTOH, it only got down to 7F here last night; they hit the -20s. So there. lol

My son is very good at many technical things including photography. Super high IQ, graduated HS with 39 college credits, BS in chemical engineering, has a big job providing factory support and research. He'll set his DSLR to take raw files (whatever that is) then spend time perfecting them on his computer. I think this one is probably an un-doctored jpeg so he could get it posted.

14 here last night. Where he is probably 25. Maybe he can skate on the pond behind his house. ;)

My son is very good at many technical things including photography. Super high IQ, graduated HS with 39 college credits, BS in chemical engineering, has a big job providing factory support and research. He'll set his DSLR to take raw files (whatever that is) then spend time perfecting them on his computer. I think this one is probably an un-doctored jpeg so he could get it posted.

14 here last night. Where he is probably 25. Maybe he can skate on the pond behind his house. ;)

That's awesome, you sound rightfully proud of him.

RAW is the type of file that the SLR produces; you then open it in a file editing program (I use PSP X8) and do some subtle manipulation to bring out the best qualities of the photo and suppress things like noise. Night shots are the trickiest; he definitely has it figured out! Personally I think that the editing is the best part of night photography. That link that I posted to the spaceweather.com photo gallery is cool -- you can view the EXIM data and see how the person shot the pic, what camera they used, editing software, exposure time, etc.

Here's something you can share with him if you want. You can definitely see my growth as a photog by the images over time. The first ones are pretty meh. lol

https://imgur.com/a/UeDMV

That's awesome, you sound rightfully proud of him.

RAW is the type of file that the SLR produces; you then open it in a file editing program (I use PSP X8) and do some subtle manipulation to bring out the best qualities of the photo and suppress things like noise. Night shots are the trickiest; he definitely has it figured out! Personally I think that the editing is the best part of night photography. That link that I posted to the spaceweather.com photo gallery is cool -- you can view the EXIM data and see how the person shot the pic, what camera they used, editing software, exposure time, etc.

Here's something you can share with him if you want. You can definitely see my growth as a photog by the images over time. The first ones are pretty meh. lol

https://imgur.com/a/UeDMV

Yeah he's a great kid alright. The main thing is that he's always listened to my advice and usually takes it.

Back