Elderly on the Road

LadyT

JPP Modarater
Contributor
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-mcfbriefs10_506oct10,0,5506428.story?coll=orl-news-headlines-orange

"ORLANDO -- - A car driven by an elderly woman smashed into the Sears store at Orlando Fashion Square mall Monday, coming to rest more than 20 feet inside the tool department, Orlando police said."

I'm telling you the elderly are dangerous on the road. I'm near a senior citizen center and I've had quite a few near misses in my day. I know an elderly person who still drives, yet she can't distinguish a coffee mug from a newspaper from 3 feet away.

I think people should be tested for vision and reflexes.

I'm not sure how though. should everybody have to do this test on a regular basis or once you pass a certain age.

To be fair maybe it should be done universally although that is just going to mean even longer lines as the DMV. What to do?

I think people should be tested for vision and reflexes.

I'm not sure how though. should everybody have to do this test on a regular basis or once you pass a certain age.

To be fair maybe it should be done universally although that is just going to mean even longer lines as the DMV. What to do?

You test people regularly that over 70 or that have visual degeneration conditions. Remember driving is a priveledge not a right. Also, we have drinking laws that are age specific for adults so I don't really see it being an age discrimination issue.

I'm still firmly against road blocks. Particularly if someone has to pay the state 1000s of dollars and they didn't have any moving violations.

Ehhh.... Forget about testing. If they reach 70 send them to Australia and let them start testing on them.

I'm not drunk drivers are dangerous.

people should be punished for driving drunk, but I think police should have to have a valid reason for pulling you over. If then they suspect and subsequently confirm that you are inebriated, than you should be punished, but if you don't have any moving violations or nothing's expired, they shouldn't be able to pull you over.

Well I liken it to everybody having to go through a metal detector while boarding a plane. We do this so that people can be safer on the plane. We don't only search those who are acting suspicious.

The same principle applies to roadblocks. As long as they are doing it equally and not discriminating by neighborhood selection I view it the same way as metal detectors in the airport.

At first bi-annually, then once they hit 80, annually. I think a doctors eye examination certificate would suffice for renewal unless they wanted to take the eye exam at the DMV.

Something very similar is in place in Ontario, too, unless it's changed; I haven't been there in years. Down here we're in a very rural area, and on the country roads (and some not-so-country) there are a few extremely elderly drivers in big pickups (also Cadillacs) on the road. They tend to drive about 20 -- 30 miles per hour. So long as it isn't heavy traffic I don't care. Just don't want to be stuck behind someone driving like that on a two-lane road with oncoming traffic.

At least they don't talk on cellphones while they're driving.

All these old farts claim that their accelerators got stuck also. Why do they only get stuck in cars driven by people with one foot in the grave? Freaking old people.

All these old farts claim that their accelerators got stuck also. Why do they only get stuck in cars driven by people with one foot in the grave? Freaking old people.

Yeah pretty strange, check the stats the more old folks around the more stuck accelerators. Strange huh ? ;)
Politicians in FL won't touch this subject at all, wussies.

Well, if 75% of YOUR constituency were 90 billion years old and saw the advent of Mammals on the earth you'd be a little afraid of this one too!

Back