Environmental question for Moot

MAGA MAN

Let's go Brandon!
Yesterday I was fueling my lawn mower and spilled about 2 ounces of gas on the concrete walk next to the lawn. Using commonly available household materials and tools, what would the best way to take care of that spill?

Sorry dude, haven't been on line much the last few days.

If it was just two ounces my guess is that by the time you could have walked to your garage to get some kitty litter or oil-dry or some saw dust, etc., to absorb the spill 99.9% of the gasoline would have evaporated and the problem solved. In Hazmat that small of a spill is called a "de minimis" spill and isn't regulated. if it hasn't evaporated then just absorb with absorbents described above until there are no free liquids observable and then sweep into a 5 gal poly pail or poly trash bag and dispose of in your municiple trash.

If it soaked into the soil by the walk, one shovel full on soil would be about all that's needed to remove 2oz and then back fill with some soil and some grass seed or, if available, patch with some sod. If it stained the concrete just liberally squirt the stain with some Dawn dish soap, brush it into the stain, let sit for a few minutes and then wash it off with a garden house. Dawn is biodegradable, buffered and doesn't contain phosphates so it's environmentally safe. The reason I recommend Dawn is that it typically has higher concentrations of surfactants and sodium lauryl sulfate, the primary components in soaps/detergents, that remove oils.

But like I said, for two ounces of gasoline at anything near room temperature will evaporate very quickly.

Sorry dude, haven't been on line much the last few days.

If it was just two ounces my guess is that by the time you could have walked to your garage to get some kitty litter or oil-dry or some saw dust, etc., to absorb the spill 99.9% of the gasoline would have evaporated and the problem solved. In Hazmat that small of a spill is called a "de minimis" spill and isn't regulated. if it hasn't evaporated then just absorb with absorbents described above until there are no free liquids observable and then sweep into a 5 gal poly pail or poly trash bag and dispose of in your municiple trash.

If it soaked into the soil by the walk, one shovel full on soil would be about all that's needed to remove 2oz and then back fill with some soil and some grass seed or, if available, patch with some sod. If it stained the concrete just liberally squirt the stain with some Dawn dish soap, brush it into the stain, let sit for a few minutes and then wash it off with a garden house. Dawn is biodegradable, buffered and doesn't contain phosphates so it's environmentally safe. The reason I recommend Dawn is that it typically has higher concentrations of surfactants and sodium lauryl sulfate, the primary components in soaps/detergents, that remove oils.

But like I said, for two ounces of gasoline at anything near room temperature will evaporate very quickly.

I suspect that he's taking the piss!

you should remove the damaged soil with a trowel and eat it.......if your feces continue to show signs of contamination, eat your feces and retest.......if this seems distasteful, as an alternative you can feed it to someone from Ohio......they aren't apt to notice......

Back