Extracted some bees from a chimney tower today... No images...

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
I need a GoPro...

Anyway, I got a hive, maybe 30K bees (late in the season) from a chimney tower earlier this morning. I don't know if they'll survive the winter, but they certainly weren't going to survive there as the homeowner couldn't get insured with the bees in the siding of the chimney tower. So they were either exterminated or extracted... The owner chose extraction. Thankfully.

I'm reasonably sure we got the queen, we left behind maybe 50 bees who were flying around and wouldn't land but that will not likely be the queen.

I"ll report back if the hive stays where they belong and, later, if they lived this winter through....

I need a GoPro...

Anyway, I got a hive, maybe 30K bees (late in the season) from a chimney tower earlier this morning. I don't know if they'll survive the winter, but they certainly weren't going to survive there as the homeowner couldn't get insured with the bees in the siding of the chimney tower. So they were either exterminated or extracted... The owner chose extraction. Thankfully.

I'm reasonably sure we got the queen, we left behind maybe 50 bees who were flying around and wouldn't land but that will not likely be the queen.

I"ll report back if the hive stays where they belong and, later, if they lived this winter through....

Keep up the good work Damo.

For all we know, you might be the last, best hope for the survival of the bees!

I need a GoPro...

What's your take on these?

Not my kind of hive, but I'd love to try it.

I was asking because I figured you had more sources to judge from.
One "report" on them, said the plastic interfered with the bees ability to keep the hive cool and that it eliminates the inspection of the health of the bees.

Here's what it looks like closed:
printed-flow-hive-that-makes-harvesting-honey-6.jpg

And here it is, open:
printed-flow-hive-that-makes-harvesting-honey-7.jpg

Last edited:
Back