Fantasy Football Talk

Minister of Truth

Practically Perfect
I played FF on Yahoo last season with my flight at work. Did okay for a noob. I thought this would be a good place to discuss next season amongst all who play.

Here's a draft I can foresee as attainable for next season:

WR Andre Johnson
RB Alfred Morris
WR Brandon Marshall
RB Marshawn Lynch
RB Doug Martin
QB Matt Flynn
D/ST Patriots
K Greg Zurlein
TE Owen Daniels or Tyler Eiffert

Bench
Marquis Lee
Deandre Hopkins
Monte Ball
Trent Richardson
Some QB, Flynn could be here

I anticipate Wilson, Caepernick, Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Calvin Johnson, Peterson, Foster going right away. Also, while Seahawks and Ninets might be the D/ST to grab, consider the division New England plays in now. Should be a good year for Patriots D/ST, even as their offense crumbles in the wake of losses, Hernandez scandal, and Gronk's injuries.

I played FF on Yahoo last season with my flight at work. Did okay for a noob. I thought this would be a good place to discuss next season amongst all who play.

Here's a draft I can foresee as attainable for next season:

WR Andre Johnson
RB Alfred Morris
WR Brandon Marshall
RB Marshawn Lynch
RB Doug Martin
QB Matt Flynn
D/ST Patriots
K Greg Zurlein
TE Owen Daniels or Tyler Eiffert

Bench
Marquis Lee
Deandre Hopkins
Monte Ball
Trent Richardson
Some QB, Flynn could be here

You just put the fantasy in fantasy football if you link your going to get Doug Martin, Marshawn Lynch and Alfred Morris AND have Trent Richardson on your bench.

You are a noob.

Here is some fantasy advice from a seasoned pro. Do lots of mock drafts. Wait until the last two picks to take your defense and kicker respectively. Defense may win championships in the NFL but not in fantasy. I personally play matchups.

You just put the fantasy in fantasy football if you link your going to get Doug Martin, Marshawn Lynch and Alfred Morris AND have Trent Richardson on your bench.

You are a noob.

Here is some fantasy advice from a seasoned pro. Do lots of mock drafts...Wait until the last two picks to take your defense and kicker respectively. Defense may win championships in the NFL but not in fantasy. I personally play matchups.

Two good bits of advice there...

Lots of people grab QBs first, and favor receivers over RBs. Peterson and Foster will be the first backs to go. Foster was #1 overall pick in my league last season. I'm really not being all that unrealistic about my running picks. Probably far less likely to get Marshall after I 1R draft Johnson. My competition doesn't really jump at tight ends once a few stars such as Witten and Gonzalez are taken. I could get either Daniels or Eifert last and draft defense and kicker ahead of them.

The best player in my league last season drafted Palmer as his QB and had a weak TE. Then some idiot dropped Witten and he swooped in and grabbed him.

Lots of people grab QBs first, and favor receivers over RBs. Peterson and Foster will be the first backs to go. Foster was #1 overall pick in my league last season. I'm really not being all that unrealistic about my running picks. Probably far less likely to get Marshall after I 1R draft Johnson. My competition doesn't really jump at tight ends once a few stars such as Witten and Gonzalez are taken. I could get either Daniels or Eifert last and draft defense and kicker ahead of them.

The best player in my league last season drafted Palmer as his QB and had a weak TE. Then some idiot dropped Witten and he swooped in and grabbed him.

Idiots who don't know what they are doing grab QBs first. People flirted with that last year after the prior year blowout if Rodgers, Brees and Cam, but last year proved the axiom that fantasy is all about running backs.

Four of your five are ranked in the top 10.

If you are in a 12 team league. There is no way you land those backs unless your league is full of a bunch of retards or Darla and Desh.

There is a better chance of Obama joining the Tea Party than you landing this draft.

There's so many QBs who are worth a flat (shall we say 20 points?) number, that they don't really provide an edge. Rodgers is valuable because he will pass for as many yards as Brady, Manning, and Brees, while also rushing for quite a few. Meanwhile, Wilson, Caepernick, Newton, Griffin, etc., will all rush like RBs. Thus, the position has become quite useless for FF.

Even if I don't acquire all three of those guys I listed, I can still grab a fairly good corps of RBs by ignoring the QB, and perhaps settling for less on the WR end. If I get the first pick overall, I will draft Calvin Johnson. Otherwise, my first pick will be a RB. There were enough noobs in my league last year to allow me a shot at a ridiculous pick this year. Also, multiple people did not show up for the draft, and the computer ranks all of the star QBs at or near the top. Foster was Yahoo's #1, and then it was star QBs after that.

The guy who followed the formula of ignoring the QB and TE positions went with one loss the entire season, and then suddenly hit a dry weak during the playoffs. The guy who won had a line-up that began producing huge numbers late in the season. For example, he had the Seahawks D/ST, which exploded at the end of the season, giving him 20-50 points per game. He also grabbed Caepernick when the Niners started playing him.

Perhaps Yahoo will do a better job ranking players this season. My stupid profile was set to autodraft for the first two picks. The damn thing gave me Brady as my #1 pick, but did get me Andre Johnson as my #2 pick. After that, I was pretty clueless about what to do, and was further hurt by the fact that the only real star that I grabbed was Antonio Gates for TE. To describe how wasted a pick Gates was for me, I wound up having Martellus Bennett on my bench, and he wound up starting more games for me than the oft-injured and always terrible Gates.

There's so many QBs who are worth a flat (shall we say 20 points?) number, that they don't really provide an edge. Rodgers is valuable because he will pass for as many yards as Brady, Manning, and Brees, while also rushing for quite a few. Meanwhile, Wilson, Caepernick, Newton, Griffin, etc., will all rush like RBs. Thus, the position has become quite useless for FF.

Even if I don't acquire all three of those guys I listed, I can still grab a fairly good corps of RBs by ignoring the QB, and perhaps settling for less on the WR end. If I get the first pick overall, I will draft Calvin Johnson. Otherwise, my first pick will be a RB. There were enough noobs in my league last year to allow me a shot at a ridiculous pick this year. Also, multiple people did not show up for the draft, and the computer ranks all of the star QBs at or near the top. Foster was Yahoo's #1, and then it was star QBs after that.

The guy who followed the formula of ignoring the QB and TE positions went with one loss the entire season, and then suddenly hit a dry weak during the playoffs. The guy who won had a line-up that began producing huge numbers late in the season. For example, he had the Seahawks D/ST, which exploded at the end of the season, giving him 20-50 points per game. He also grabbed Caepernick when the Niners started playing him.

Well now you are talking strategy. That is much different than claiming you will land those RBs. Notice I didn't comment on your pick at QB I wouldn't put too much stock in running QBs. Always tempting but they are fools gold.

TE is another crap shoot. Now that Hernandez and Gronk are done there aren't any real studs. Again you don't win fantasy with TEs.

Defense is another area that can be a tempting spot to waste a pick. I love when people take their defense in the 4th round.

The most common phrase you hear after every fantasy draft is "I feel pretty good about my team". Then the season starts. Fantasy is all luck. I have had great drafts and couldn't win a matchup. I have had shitty drafts and won the league. Two years ago I took Jamaal Charles with my #1 overall pick and he blew out his ACL. I have done just as well letting Yahoo autograft as I have spending hours researching.

Personally, I think a standard draft should look something like this: RB, WR, RB, RB, WR, TE, QB, D/ST, K. Now, situations will present themselves. Let's say you get to pick three and see an opportunity to grab a vastly superior WR over available RBs. Then tweak it on the spot to RB, WR, WR, RB, RB... Also, if you get past three picks, you might just consider grabbing that Tony Gonzalez or Jason Witten (both are old, but I think they will be healthy, meaning productive). I agree it's not worth gambling on a TE prospect such as Eiffert. Personally, I do draft the D/ST ahead of Kicker, but as you can see, it's still at the bottom. I do that because it's still a more competive spot (there's really only a few hot teams, whereas kickers are much more even. Two years ago it was apparently possible to impact one's season if you drafted David Akers, but I grabbed him last year having read that report and it did nothing for me).

Personally, I think a standard draft should look something like this: RB, WR, RB, RB, WR, TE, QB, D/ST, K. Now, situations will present themselves. Let's say you get to pick three and see an opportunity to grab a vastly superior WR over available RBs. Then tweak it on the spot to RB, WR, WR, RB, RB... Also, if you get past three picks, you might just consider grabbing that Tony Gonzalez or Jason Witten (both are old, but I think they will be healthy, meaning productive). I agree it's not worth gambling on a TE prospect such as Eiffert. Personally, I do draft the D/ST ahead of Kicker, but as you can see, it's still at the bottom. I do that because it's still a more competive spot (there's really only a few hot teams, whereas kickers are much more even. Two years ago it was apparently possible to impact one's season if you drafted David Akers, but I grabbed him last year having read that report and it did nothing for me).

I don't see anything wrong with that draft strategy. My personal opinion would be to draft QB before TE, but it probably won't be the end of the world. The past three seasons I have employed a strategy of playing matchups with Defense and Kickers, meaning I don't carry a defense or kicker on my bench to free up room for other skill players. Every week, I go on the waiver wire and pick a new kicker and defense. It has worked well. I have made the playoffs all three years and won the whole thing one year. Only down side is that my league charges for transactions so it adds to the kitty.

I think TE is going to be a low scoring position this year. I think we are teetering back to the year of the RB. I am going to stock up on RB.

One other hint is to look for that 2nd year WR who is due for a breakout. Something about 2nd year WR in Fantasy.

Interesting. I am not sure about second year WRs, but I think the best rookie prospects are DeAndre Hopkins and Marquis Lee.

Not every 2nd year wide receiver is going to break out, but here is a little to back it up

Mike Wallace
Randall Cobb
Victor Cruz
Julio Jones

Also, I think coaches become more comfortable giving them play time and working them into the offensive strategy more. That is an interesting concept, though.

Back