Fascinating tale from Omaha Beach

cancel2 2022

Canceled
Now here is a great little tale.

On June 6th, 1944, David Silva (left) was 19 years old when he landed on Omaha Beach with the 116th Infantry Reg. 29th Division. Upon reaching the sand, he was hit 3 times in the chest by an MG sitting on top of the bluff.

Simultaneously, 21 year old Heinrich Severloh (right) of the 352nd Infanterie-Division was manning his MG42 on the same sector that Silva was on. As the day progressed and the Allies overtook the beachhead, Heinrich became a POW.

In the mid 1960s, Silva was contacted by Heinrich after he found Silva's name in the book The Longest Day as one of the survivors of the Easy Red sector. Both men met in Germany and after sharing their details of that day, Heinrich realized that he was the one who shot Silva on the beach.

Almost 60 years later, both men met on the same landing sector of Omaha beach and shook hands, and this photo captured it all. Silva said: "I forgave him, even though he didn't want me to. I think he really wanted this, he was hurting alot".

Heinrich said: "There was no glory on the beach that day, just a lot of blood and screams and young men dying. With Silva, you can apologise, the others who died out there, you can no longer apologise. I visit them at the cemetery....we were all boys."

FB_IMG_1599468099614.jpg

Last edited:

On June 6th, 1944, David Silva (left) was 19 years old when he landed on Omaha Beach with the 116th Infantry Reg. 29th Division. Upon reaching the sand, he was hit 3 times in the chest by an MG sitting on top of the bluff.

Simultaneously, 21 year old Heinrich Severloh (right) of the 352nd Infanterie-Division was manning his MG42 on the same sector that Silva was on. As the day progressed and the Allies overtook the beachhead, Heinrich became a POW.

In the mid 1960s, Silva was contacted by Heinrich after he found Silva's name in the book The Longest Day as one of the survivors of the Easy Red sector. Both men met in Germany and after sharing their details of that day, Heinrich realized that he was the one who shot Silva on the beach.

Almost 60 years later, both men met on the same landing sector of Omaha beach and shook hands, and this photo captured it all. Silva said: "I forgave him, even though he didn't want me to. I think he really wanted this, he was hurting alot".

Heinrich said: "There was no glory on the beach that day, just a lot of blood and screams and young men dying. With Silva, you can apologise, the others who died out there, you can no longer apologise. I visit them at the cemetery....we were all boys."

View attachment 16948

Great story. Thanks for posting it.

https://blackswaneuroparedux.tumblr...e-pipes-of-peace-on-june-6th-1944-david-silva

Are these the guys Trump calls 'Losers' and 'Suckers'?

View attachment 16948

Yes. Specifically, Trump and his Trumpeteers think they are "suckers" for being there. The "Losers" are the dead ones buried a little further inland.

I've been to those beaches Jack, have you? I drove the entire length from the Pegasus Bridge on the Caen Canal through Ouistreham, Arromanches, Collville-sur-Mer to Pointe du Hoc with my sons. Visiting those cemeteries, especially above Omaha Beach, was truly humbling. Even managed to visit the massive German cemetery at La Cambe. Somebody was asking what other country would have monuments to the losers in a war, well there is an obvious example.

I've been to those beaches Jack, have you? I drove the entire length from the Pegasus Bridge on the Caen Canal through Ouistreham, Arromanches, Collville-sur-Mer to Pointe du Hoc with my sons. Visiting those cemeteries, especially above Omaha Beach, was truly humbling. Even managed to visit the massive German cemetery at La Cambe. Somebody was asking what other country would have monuments to the losers in a war, well there is an obvious example.

Hondo. When you actually did some fighting, let me know. (anybody can 'drive around a cemetery')

Indeed it is humbling. I’ve not been to the US War Cemetery at Normandy but I have been to the one in Manila and memorializes almost 5 times the number of dead and missing (presumed dead) than at Normandy. Humbling is the only word to describe the experience. I was not expecting to be as moved as I was.

It was also the most beautiful cemetery I’ve seen, including Arlington National Cemetery. I sat under one of the large Acacia trees for a quiet moment of reflection and took in the view of the Cemetery and Manila Bay.

I also brought with me a Buckeye necklace (aka horse chestnut) as, I’m sure you probably know, the nickname for someone from Ohio is a Buckeye. I took the Buckeyes off the necklace and placed one on a any tombstone where the deceased was from Ohio.

When I was leaving I said to the uniformed guard at the gate, “Thank you for how you’ve taken such good care of my fellow countrymen.”. He replied “It’s our sacred duty sir.”.

Aerial-copy-1.jpg

Indeed it is humbling. I’ve not been to the US War Cemetery at Normandy but I have been to the one in Manila and memorializes almost 5 times the number of dead and missing (presumed dead) than at Normandy. Humbling is the only word to describe the experience. I was not expecting to be as moved as I was.

It was also the most beautiful cemetery I’ve seen, including Arlington National Cemetery. I sat under one of the large Acacia trees for a quiet moment of reflection and took in the view of the Cemetery and Manila Bay.

I also brought with me a Buckeye necklace (aka horse chestnut) as, I’m sure you probably know, the nickname for someone from Ohio is a Buckeye. I took the Buckeyes off the necklace and placed one on a any tombstone where the deceased was from Ohio.

When I was leaving I said to the uniformed guard at the gate, “Thank you for how you’ve taken such good care of my fellow countrymen.”. He replied “It’s our sacred duty sir.”.

Aerial-copy-1.jpg

This will surely interest you, all of those cemeteries be they American, UK, Canadian or German are kept in pristine condition.

https://www.abmc.gov/sites/default/files/publications/Normandy%20AC%20Cemetery%20Booklet.pdf

Back