Favorite quotes, poems and profound words

resolve-to-be-tender-with-the-young-compassionate-with-the-8138878.png

One of my favorite poems about loss:

death-is-nothing-at-all-it-does-not-count-i-11816475.png

“What about the main thing in life, all its riddles? If you want, I'll spell it out for you right now. Do not pursue what is illusionary ― property and position: all that is gained at the expense of your nerves decade after decade, and is confiscated in one fell night. Live with a steady superiority over life -don't be afraid of misfortune, and do not yearn for happiness; it is, after all, all the same: the bitter doesn't last forever, and the sweet never fills the cup to overflowing. It is enough if you don't freeze in the cold and if thirst and hunger don't claw at your insides. If your back isn't broken, if your feet can walk, if both arms can bend, if both eyes can see, if both ears hear, then whom should you envy? And why? Our envy of others devours us most of all. Rub your eyes and purify your heart - and prize above all else in the world those who love you and who wish you well. Do not hurt them or scold them, and never part from any of them in anger; after all, you simply do not know: it may be your last act before your arrest, and that will be how you are imprinted on their memory.”

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

I save this on for my so

“Just in case you ever foolishly forget; I am never not thinking of you.”

― Virginia Woolf, Selected Diaries

My favorite Roman philosopher at this time is Marcus Aurelius

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.”

― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"I don't have sympathy for someone who always wants to be a victim. I go through shit everyday, so does most of the world. Be your own savior."

Unknown

I earned a degree in English so i have lots of favorite poems. This is special/powerful to me:
Ozinandes
I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

"I don't have sympathy for someone who always wants to be a victim. I go through shit everyday, so does most of the world. Be your own savior."

Unknown

Ditto!

Hilarious how one of JPP's premier victims put a like on your post. lol

I've had this as a sig line on my email for 20+ years. I try to live by it.

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

Ditto!

Hilarious how one of JPP's premier victims put a like on your post. lol

I've had this as a sig line on my email for 20+ years. I try to live by it.

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi
There are lots of people in real life this applies to.....

It's amazing, really.

Gone From My Sight / By Henry Van Dyke

Gone From My Sight

I am standing upon the seashore.
A ship, at my side, spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts for the blue ocean.
She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until; at length,
she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone."

Gone where?

Gone from my sight. That is all.

She is just as large in mast, hull and spar as she was when she left my side.
And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.
Her diminished size is in me -- not in her.

And, just at the moment when someone says,
"There, she is gone,"
there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout,
"Here she comes!"

And that is dying...​

"You may write me down in history With your bitter, twisted lies. You may trod me in the very dirt, but still like dust, I'll rise."
Maya Angelou

Back