Fed entity Condems the voting Machines Unsecurable

uscitizen

Villified User
Security of electronic voting is condemned

Security of electronic voting is condemned
Paper systems should be included, agency says

Paperless electronic voting machines used throughout the Washington region and much of the country "cannot be made secure," according to draft recommendations issued this week by a federal agency that advises the U.S. Election Assistance Commission.

The assessment by the National Institute of Standards and Technology, one of the government's premier research centers, is the most sweeping condemnation of such voting systems by a federal agency.

In a report hailed by critics of electronic voting, NIST said that voting systems should allow election officials to recount ballots independently from a voting machine's software. The recommendations endorse "optical-scan" systems in which voters mark paper ballots that are read by a computer and electronic systems that print a paper summary of each ballot, which voters review and elections officials save for recounts.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15976613

I endorse optical scan equipment as well, less breakdown, easy to read, easy to understand, and recountable....

I've pretty much said so from the begginning of this inane "electronic" fad...

We do have a machine for electronic voting, it does provide a permanent paper record that is kept... we do not, however, stress its use and the vast majority of people prefer to use the Optecs...

You know from all the con on this subject in the past, I was really suprised to find that the folks at National Institute of Standards and Technology, wear tinfoil hats ;)

I wonder how much taxpayer money has been wasted in the rush to move to the bleeding edge tech voting machines ? Well bleeding edge for polling machines anyway ;)

Back