Feedback request

Cancel 2016.2

The Almighty
For those of you with investments, whether via 401k's, IRAs, 403bs etc...

What are your primary concerns right now? I don't want to 'lead' this discussion anywhere in particular, so I am going to let it remain at that. Would love to hear what you all think.

For those of you with investments, whether via 401k's, IRAs, 403bs etc...

What are your primary concerns right now? I don't want to 'lead' this discussion anywhere in particular, so I am going to let it remain at that. Would love to hear what you all think.

I worry about things getting so bad that the funds there, won't be worth anything.
It wasn't that long ago that a few countries were so bad that a wheel barrow of money couldn't buy a loaf of bread.
I hate saying it; but the US needs to worry about the money problems of the US and not every other countries money problems.

The first thng they teach anyone, in first aid; is don't try to help anyone, if you aren't able to help them.
Basically; if you can't swin, don't jump in and try to save someone drowning. All you're going to do, is create TWO victims, for the next person that comes along.

I do not like the limited choices that I am trapped into, nor do I like the fact that changing investments within the 401K takes too much time to allow a logical reaction to the market directions.

Thanks for the responses.

For those worried about Social security... it will be there. They cannot default on a promise like that. They may 'tweak' it with 'fixes' like the donut hole or something, but SS is not something that has to implode. We just need to make sure we can get through the next 20 years and then we will return to some normalcy.

My concern is volatility. Will my 401K earn, on average, the 5 to 7% ROI I need to meet my retirement goals?

I also worry about diversifying. My major investments are 401K, some stocks and my home.

My concern is volatility. Will my 401K earn, on average, the 5 to 7% ROI I need to meet my retirement goals?

I also worry about diversifying. My major investments are 401K, some stocks and my home.

You are like most investors, the 401k/403b being the second largest asset typically after a home. The problem is that people have their own careers/jobs/family etc... to worry about and most do the traditional pie chart of funds and then 'ride it out' hoping for the best as they tend to forget to pay attention to the account. (out of site out of mind)

In a bear market buy and hold does not work. If we continue in the current bear market it is unlikely that you will see much of a gain over the long run. My suggestion to you (and anyone reading this) is put it on your calendar to check your 401k. Make it a reoccurring appointment. Take 20 minutes at the end of each month and decide where the strength of the market is and how comfortable you feel with the equity markets at that time. If you work with an adviser, make him/her provide their insight. For those up on this year (which if you have been invested you should be up)... ask yourself... are you happy with a 10% return for the year? Then you may want to consider locking in some of those gains.

For those who subscribe to buy and hold... if the big money professionals and media really believed that... I ask you... who is doing all the selling that drives a market down???

Thanks for the responses.

For those worried about Social security... it will be there. They cannot default on a promise like that. They may 'tweak' it with 'fixes' like the donut hole or something, but SS is not something that has to implode. We just need to make sure we can get through the next 20 years and then we will return to some normalcy.

Be there is relative. Maybe for all of my generation who make it to 108 years old. Not that I care myself. My other investments are far more sound. I just want to opt out.

Be there is relative. Maybe for all of my generation who make it to 108 years old. Not that I care myself. My other investments are far more sound. I just want to opt out.

sorry, but Uncle Sam knows what is best for you.

As for it being there, the age of withdrawal with still be under 70 (most likely about 68 for you given your age) and the benefits will be as promised. The echo boomer generation will hit peak earnings right as the boomers are dying off. That should help SS get back on its feet, provided some small actions are taken now vs large actions in the future.

You are like most investors, the 401k/403b being the second largest asset typically after a home. The problem is that people have their own careers/jobs/family etc... to worry about and most do the traditional pie chart of funds and then 'ride it out' hoping for the best as they tend to forget to pay attention to the account. (out of site out of mind)

In a bear market buy and hold does not work. If we continue in the current bear market it is unlikely that you will see much of a gain over the long run. My suggestion to you (and anyone reading this) is put it on your calendar to check your 401k. Make it a reoccurring appointment. Take 20 minutes at the end of each month and decide where the strength of the market is and how comfortable you feel with the equity markets at that time. If you work with an adviser, make him/her provide their insight. For those up on this year (which if you have been invested you should be up)... ask yourself... are you happy with a 10% return for the year? Then you may want to consider locking in some of those gains.

For those who subscribe to buy and hold... if the big money professionals and media really believed that... I ask you... who is doing all the selling that drives a market down???
Thanks for the advice.

Back